Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out at sunrise in overcast conditions. The river was a about foot higher than it was before the "historic deluge", current is a bit faster but mostly manageable, what clarity was so-so, no more than a couple of feet. I began with a plopper and a medium-ish diver (a Bandit 200), but after passing first couple of productive areas I started switching lure. Medim diver was replaced with a squarebill, and it immediately improved things - I got hit from a largemouth, and a few minutes later - a hammer handle.
Water Fish Plant Fisherman Fishing

Water Vertebrate Organism Fish Terrestrial plant

A little while after that I got another hit on a squarebill. It did not fill like much and I was not even sure what it was, but when it starting to the side I said "pike" and when it started taking drag I knew it was a nice. I pulled it next to the yak, turned around to grab the net ... and it was not there. FFS! I lost it again! I grabbed grips and as I was trying to grab the jaw it yanked its head and broke off. At first I though it bit through the leader or broke the knot, but that's not what happened. The damn thing ripped the snap open, and it's not like the closing flap is damaged, it just pulled straight out. Clearly I need to upgrade to tougher snaps locks.
Water Liquid Finger Jewellery Thumb

My mood was soured and I turned around. Caught a midsize pike that I did not lose, a smallie, and ended up with 6, all on squarebills. Never found the net.
Water Vertebrate Fish Fishing Lake

Water Vertebrate Fluid Liquid Lake

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been there with the cheap snaps before and have had similar heartbreaks. Live and learn. Nice fish none the less.
You see, they are not exactly puny and I love them because the wire is straight and they are not a PITA to use like dual lock style. I just ran into a bigger fish than I normally see. I think what I'll do with these squarebills that I use all the time is I will tie a leader directly to the lure and put a swivel on the other side.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice catches , love choice of lure.
That was a chart splatterback silent KVD 2.5 with Gama short shank EWG hooks. They don't make them anymore in this exact color. I fished it out of DPR a few years ago. River gave it, and river took it away. I expect I will replace with whole bunch of different squarebills. And a look at what a baby pike (and a few bass) wanted today - a wakebait.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Water Vertebrate Organism Terrestrial plant Adaptation

·
Super Moderator
6,285 Posts
Font Material property Circle Parallel Rectangle
This is what I use for cranks. Eliminated any issues with snaps. I've used the exact ones you have and my buddy Mike has used those too. I've just seen too many nice fish defeat that snap in the past. A big going nuts at the boat has a tendency to bend the wire and pop it out. Probably have seen it happen about a half dozen times over the years.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what I use for cranks. Eliminated any issues with snaps. I've used the exact ones you have and my buddy Mike has used those too. I've just seen too many nice fish defeat that snap in the past. A big going nuts at the boat has a tendency to bend the wire and pop it out. Probably have seen it happen about a half dozen times over the years.
Yeah, I'll phase out those brass snaps. The VMC does not look terrible, but I will probably go for something that comes with a swivel, and Gama has one just like that - probably will be a filler for my next TW order. I also have what I think is a Spro snap on my other leader and I really like it, similar design to the one that failed but much tougher if its # rating is to be believed.
Body jewelry Eye glass accessory Font Jewellery Fashion accessory

What I absolutely despise though is this kind. I swear, I can tie a knot faster than change a lure using one of these.
Eye glass accessory Line Tints and shades Font Eyewear

·
Registered
875 Posts
Tough break. The cross lock snaps are def the way to go in my experience. When I used to buy leaders, they had to be cross locking. Heddon is a guru on snaps. He used to bend out the ones on Jackhammers and I think he would replace them with decoy egg snaps.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The cross lock snaps are def the way to go in my experience. When I used to buy leaders, they had to be cross locking. Heddon is a guru on snaps. He used to bend out the ones on Jackhammers and I think he would replace them with decoy egg snaps.
Yes the the snaps on Jackhammers look weak and I can see myself switching to egg snaps, but there's no way I would want to open them on a regular basis.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Good report. Took a bike ride to Lake Des Plaines a few days ago, the place was bonkers with surfacing shad and bowfins busting for air and shad. Wish I had a rod with me, but was just a trail ride. I NEED to get my ass out there!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Nice little toothies! And sunfish too. ;)

If you're willing to put them together, I've proven these out for a decade plus in Canada on 40"+ pike. They don't seem as hard to change lures out as the duo lock, maybe just my perception though?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good report. Took a bike ride to Lake Des Plaines a few days ago, the place was bonkers with surfacing shad and bowfins busting for air and shad. Wish I had a rod with me, but was just a trail ride. I NEED to get my ass out there!
It's bowfins that breach all the time? I thought - this is wrong color for bass, not streamlined enough for pike, so I pegged them for carp. But you are right, the place is like one huge baitball. I was like - how are you supposed to catch anything when there's so much food?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice little toothies! And sunfish too. ;)

If you're willing to put them together, I've proven these out for a decade plus in Canada on 40"+ pike. They don't seem as hard to change lures out as the duo lock, maybe just my perception though?
I have one Mustad snap just like that and I am not entirely sure if like it. Actually, I suspect that with my bad eyes and arthritic fingers I will hate it in these last few weeks of fishing.
Line Font Jewellery Body jewelry Metal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts