Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit 2 spots on the Dupe yesterday - McDowell and Windfield. Hooked a nice smallie on a white twister at McDowell but it got off just as I got it to my feet. No other action so I headed up to Winfield. After 2 hours of no-go I packed it in & drove over to Blackwell.

Landed a skinny 12 incher on a white buzzbait. It hit just outside of the weed line. Then a fat 12 incher hit - again just outside of the weed line.

Sat for a while waiting for the sun to go lower & for the shadows to lengthen. A cormorant came in for a landing across the lake and began diving for dinner. I watched thru my binocs as it came up with a shad.

The diversity of Mother Nature never ceases to amaze. Consider how different bird species that depend on eating fish go about their business. Cormorants swim and dive, Gulls & Terns fly over, spy a fish and dive, Herons & Egrets stalk the shallows and Eagles and Ospreys swoop and catch their meal in their talons. All different ways of finding the same quarry. Amazing.

Threw a few more casts without any luck so I headed back to the car for dinner.

Went back to the lake and caught 2 more - another fat 12 incher and the last one of the day - a super dink 6 incher that hit the buzzbait just as I was about to pull it out of the water. :oops:

Got tired & headed home. Just another great day.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Funny you should mention the different methods of "fishing" that our feathered friends employ.
I'm nothing close to being a "writer," but when my nephew was born, I composed a short story for him as a gift. Now, I have a little niece and I've started on one for her, and the subject is precisely what you mentioned regarding these birds and their different styles.
I guess being fishermen, and spending enough time in nature, we all start to think a little bit alike!

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or at the very least 2 great minds think alike! ;)

BTW - we were PMing while I was watching the cormorant. You might want to google 'morphic fields'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts