Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone planning on getting an early start to the season on the Fox?

I recently purchased my first set of neoprenes, and I'm looking for a good set of wading shoes/boots.

I'm not real familiar with the Fox near where I live (Oswego), but the stretches around N. Aurora and Montgomery, I have fished. I'm looking to get some new territory under my belt this year.

If anyone is planning to head out in my neck of the woods, let me know I'd be interested in tagging along.

-Ed

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Montgomery crap plant. Get to it by parking under the Route 30 bridge by Route 31 and walk the tracks to the river, then south on the west shore. I wouldn't wade across the river yet.
Best bet to catch something for sure.
Over cast days, pre dawn and sunset are the best times.

You can fish the river, but it's a bitch to catch anything with water temps this low.
Got to get the water above 40 to increase your odds anywhere else on the river.

Your living smack dab in the middle of some of the best fishing on the Fox.
From 34 down for miles is all excellent. Go do some scouting. Go to Orchard road, follow the road along the river on the west side. Saw-wee-kee park. Water is high, so don't go in. I know this area like the back of my hand.
You can also park right at Orchard Road on Bud Long. Then walk east on the railroad tracks for as far as you want. Know this stretch pretty well too.

I did run a canoe livery through here for two years after all.

More details after you go looking. I'll fill in the blanks.

Get the Oswegoland Park Districts map. You do have a creek running through there you know.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I'm trying to think of my best options if the ice goes. So far it looks like it would be Navy Pier or a local poopy plant.

Poopy plants can be good from shore. I caught over 70 fish this day:

Or by kayak

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi there Ed! Ok if I call you Ed? I also live in Oswego! Funny how we can practically be neighbors, and yet not know it! 8)

I have heard a few times from different sources that the Montgomery Dam is also a good place to catch Wally's coming up. We'll have to utilize this resource that is barely a stones throw from my house.

For this colder weather though, I'd best get some neoprene waders, eh? :p

I used to tear up da smallies at the Yorkville Dam, but that puppy is being torn down now, and I was a few pounds lighter back then. Sadly, many folks have perished there.

Get your tin can ready! Perfect for the river!

My name is Darrin, by the way. Nice to meet ya!

D

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I hope I can get out there a few evenings this month and "get my feet wet" lol.

That brings me to another question, the neoprenes (3mm) should keep me dry, I was planning on wearing my polartec fleece long underwear underneath, and thick socks. Would this be sufficient to keep me warm and dry for a few hours? Only wading I have ever done was wet wading the Dupe and the Mazon during the summer months, so I have no idea what to expect in the cold water.

8) Hi Darrin! Get some waders and we'll find some South Fox piggies! - tin can would not be my choice for boating the Fox...... unreliable 40 year old Johnson 9.9, and a heavy load make it tough navigating quick shallow water. Need a Jon boat or canoe for that. :wink: hint hint..... lol

Ice will be gone soon enough, and I'm not in the same position I was last year getting time and money available to fish Indiana tribs for steel. This year will be the year I fall back in love with the gem of the west suburbs..... Hope to post many picture filled reports very soon.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
SpecialEd said:
That brings me to another question, the neoprenes (3mm) should keep me dry, I was planning on wearing my polartec fleece long underwear underneath, and thick socks. Would this be sufficient to keep me warm and dry for a few hours? Only wading I have ever done was wet wading the Dupe and the Mazon during the summer months, so I have no idea what to expect in the cold water.
You should be fine. I think mine are only 4mm and I've been known to seine minnows that are hanging out under ice shelves near shore. I wear sweat pants and winter socks and am fine for a few hours.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hey Oswego boys, go read Dale Bowmans blog.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bowman/2009/0 ... .html#more

I know this stretch well enough to even recognize that washed out background.
Pretty much figured out right where he's standing. Within a few feet.

Why do I know these things? I just want to sleep at night. I don't want to recognize these things.

Some body Hep me!!!!

Hi, my name is Ken and I'm a fishaholic with sociopathic tendencies.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nice to see someone getting on the cold water smallies. i took the shunk, got out from 9:30 - 11:00 yesterday bounced to a couple eddies I could reach from shore. I did hit a WWD and expected a couple whites or crappie but it wasn't to be. Wish I could have been out from 1-2:30 instead thinking the afternoon might have had better results. O well First time out in far too long so i'll take it.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Eye wrote:

Ive been wanting to make it down south by you Ed, perhaps in a month i'll be thinking river smallies on sunny days. 8)
Let me know if ya need a shadow other then the one from the sun! :lol:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I'll usually use my breathables until I can't stand the cold anymore...usually when water temps are somewhere in the 40's. Then I switch to 5mm neoprene waders with insulated boots. With those I can stand in the river all day and feel nice and toasty. I've never used 3mm, but I'm sure they would do if you layered underneath.

I would definitely hold off on wading anytime real soon. Looked pretty high yesterday :shock:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, we will have high water for a few more days too. I know I've had good luck in the past even in high water, working the high water line with a minnow below a single split shot. I called it "dabbling", not sure if anyone else has ever done anything like that, but I've picked up a few fish in inches of water that looked like they barely could get their gills wet where they were sitting.

Some spots I am looking to fish I would need to have the waders on anyway so I'm not trudging through someone's backyard. That, and the fact that some of the shoreline can get slick this time of year, it would be nice to not worry about getting wet. :mrgreen:

Just wish time was on my side..... Doesn't seem like it with all the time I spend here and elsewhere, but I have zero time away from the house and my computer at work lately.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
JB said:
Btw nice video Ron...slamming them white bass must have been awesome!
Thanks! (I've got a lot of archived pics and vids)

On a good morning, I can easily catch 40+ in a couple of hours. Other times you're lucky to get 2 or 3. Usually try the soft plastics first. It's great not rebaiting in the cold air.

I've also caught yellows, smallies, crappies, cats and hooked into a few with teeth that bit me off. 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.