Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i did try trolling with my dingy yesturday. put in at river and irving and trolled just past laurance. I didnt catch anything, but did see a big dog fish.
i also bumped the propeller agenst a log and broke the sheer pin. i did make it back safe and i will be out agan today

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
There are definitely fish in that area, but I think that you are spooking them by trolling that shallow water. Your success will increase if you cast instead of troll. :wink:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
It's not just the noise, in shallow water like that you are going to be churning up the water pretty bad. With trolling in a bigger body of water like LM that is deeper, it isn't an issue.

I am just trying to help you out here to increase you chances for success.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Doc is 100% right on this. Its not that your motor is spooking them. Its than anything spooks them. When I shore fish spots around there I have to tip-toe up to the edge, and even then I sometimes see a few quick swirls from the likely hiding spots and theyr'e gone. If you have to be moving, I would row it and troll with the current.

What I actually think is best (and its probably alreay been mentioned), is to tie off the boat to a log thats down stream from a nice current break and cast up into the likely spot. As for the not wanting to touch a fish, get some gloves if your scarred. Then work your way up to barehanding them. You're gonna need to touch them to get your lures back :idea:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Okay, now I am really confused. :? You are on a fishing website asking about how to catch fish and then when you get some advice you tell us that you don't really want to catch any? Last time I checked the name of the site was Windy City Fishing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.