Chicago Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John and I made plans for the tournament so we went even though the tournament was cancelled. We arrived around 7-ish. Big Al and his buddy were there. edai and his bud made it out as well. Couple other boats out as well. Not as bad as I thought it would be. It was windy for sure, but not unbearable. Boat control was hard but if you fished the west side it was manageable.

Early on we weren't too productive. I cruised around looking for warm water. Warmest water we found was 58. Most of the lake was at 51 to 52. We found a pocket of water at 57 degrees and depth of 2-3 feet just as the thunderstorm was approaching and boated 7 bass in less than 30 mins. Largest went around 15-16". Then came the rain and thunder. We pulled up anchor and headed back to Jack's. Off the water by 11am. It sure felt great to get on some deep lake bass though.

Let's not cancel another tournament because of wind. Seriously, unless we have tornado warnings in effect, we should fish. A lot of people arranged days off work to fish regardless of bad weather. I would of stayed and stuckout the rain cause the bite was red hot but john didn't have rain gear. The thunderstorm of course passed over as soon as we unloaded the boat. lol

All in all, I'm glad I went out today. I had a blast nailing them bass when we found a pattern.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Nice job braving the wind and getting on some fish :D

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Good job out there Augy and John.

I have no problem fishing in the rain, but fishing in a thunderstorm is just not a good idea. Something about an aluminum boat on water and electricity. :?

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
What no Pic's???? I bet you didn't even fish because you know it was to windy :mrgreen:

..(j/k) sounds like the same kind of day me and Tony had...at the Lagoons

·
Registered
428 Posts
Windy, yes :!: Made for an interesting day. Could not find the pattern (unlike Augy). Boat control was a problem, but I have that problem on calm days as well. That wich does not kill me makes me stronger. Augy is correct about cancelling the tourney. But I would also like to add that if you don't have an outboard on windy days your trolling motor will definetly crap out and rowing in the wind is a bitch. I learned this at the Busse Tourney last year (funny how that tourney wasn't cancelled). I would like to thank the tourny officials (a.k.a. pussies) for saving me $25 bucks.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Wind will always be reason to cancel a tournament. I'm not going to have this site or myself held responsible for going ahead with a tournament under bad conditions. Everyone is always welcome to fish where they want and when they want, but in no way will an event from this site condone taking a rowboat out on a lake with conditions such as yesterday.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
The weather "forecast" was "not good" for safe for a tournament.... and I stand by the decision.....it was just not the right conditions to put 26 people at risk(bad odds for sure)

The decision was the correct one (sure hated to do it..I went up there Friday just to be sure
based on last years April experience with the winds..:( ..)

Ya want to "tough it out" by all means go for it on your own.......

We will have many more chances to fish Deep Lake in 2009 :lol:....I know we "all" want to fish and with the long winter it makes it even harder to make this kind of decision. Better safe than sorry(bad things happen very fast)... I don't want to be at some ones wake cause of a bad decision(we almost made that mistake last year with all the lightning..that was dumb..I see it now...but the fishing was outstanding...lol......still dumb, very reckless) Dodged a bullet that time.....never again!!!!

We all have families and friends..... and should not put our selves at a high risk ...just to catch a few fish.

One really bad/catastrophic "Event" and this idea of WCTT is over......Just not worth it !!!!!

Enjoy the good days out on Deep Lake.....thoese days are the best ever.. :mrgreen:

Next Time!! and there is always a next time

BassCaster(Mike)

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lake Michigan and gusty wind conditions different story but we are talking about Deep which is a small lake and no matter how hard it's blowing, all you'll get are white caps with waves maxing out at 1-2 tops. Sure its difficult to fish and boat control is a bitch, but that's all the wind will amount to. Fishing in a lightning storm is of course a no brainer which Saturday turned out be so the cancellation was the right call. All I'm saying is, if its windy, lets go for it. If its a thunderstorm, then of course we must reconsider. Honestly, it wasn't that bad at all. It was the thunderstorm that put a pooper on things and had to call it a day. Otherwise, I might of had my best day at Deep ever when we found the pattern.

I got one pic but nothing worthy to post. I was in a hurry to get my next cast off cause they were literally jumping in the boat for the 20-30 mins we were "on".

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nice Outting, a decent amoutn of bass as well. Sounds like a great time on the water.

Thanks for the report! :D

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
One thing to keep in mind... WCF has always been for the novice/regular Joe who wants to enjoy fishing. And our tournies have been an excellent way for the aforementioned Joe's to participate in great fishing and especially camaraderie.

Sure - some of us can "handle" difficult conditions. I could go on, ad nauseum, at some f**ked conditions i've fished in. But that's not what this is all about.

We may rarely have those "perfect" conditions to have a tournament as weather conditions will always play a significant role. But all of us have a responsibility to maintain the integrity of our outings and the essence of this site. It is NOT to tough it out and compete for $$. It's to ENJOY fishing and the experiences that go with it.

If a tournament/group outing has to be postponed, that is the LAST thing i'm worried about as admin of this site. Maintaining the basic principles that have allowed this site to flourish IS my top priority. The tournaments are a bonus for us all; the joy this site brings to EVERYONE is the thing I'M most focused on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts