Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
382 Posts
Thats what I've been thinking, just due to the lack of posts. I've been going out whenever I get the chance, I just don't have any posts that are worth reading. Nobody wants to see a 9" bass.

· Registered
2,410 Posts
The reports are REALLY going to slow down in a month or so. I think everyone should be getting out as much as possible now. During the cold winter months you are going to wish that you fished your butt off in the late fall. At least that's what always happens to me.

One winter cure is the WWD. However my favorite cure is spending a hundred or so on fishing gear at BPS every other week . . . pretty pathetic.

· Registered
5,187 Posts
I think that people have slowed down their fishing for sure. I know that I have. The days are shorter now and getting out after work or dinner is no longer an option. Plus the fishing is slower. I have been out the past few days and have gotten the skunk, so nothing to post. :(

· Registered
3,785 Posts
The season is what you can make of it......I definately have a new respect for the spring feed bag. This fall bite has been tough and I can probably count the good outings on less then one hand.......

Anyway, with the sun setting so freakin' early and the time change this weekend the only time I can get out will be on weekends. These are the times that I wish I worked part time or weird hours. By the time I hit the parking lot after work the sun is almost gone.

With the temps dropping I would just change up my approach, read posts from previous seasonal changes and be grateful for the fish ya do lip. Last weekend I went to a subdivision pond with a bucket full of minnows. Let's just say I ran out of minnows. No hogs but it was fun to catch 20 largemouth bass regardless. So as you can see the bite isn't completely over. Ya just gotta find them. Smallies should still be active somewhat for the next couple of weeks. Then ya got the walleyes into the end of November....then ya got the first ice sometime in December probably. That first ice can be killer for some nice hungry crappie if you know where to go. Hell right now the crappie are still feeding, break out the minnows and have at it.
I have to agree with Steve tho......I do get out and fish but I'm not going to post on a 1 fish day just yet. Maybe in January :lol: . Hell I went out today for 45 minutes and got skunked. Think I'm going tomorrow? Definately.

So keep on fishing, slow the approach up bigtime, don't think twice about busting out a few minnows and the fun can be had.
Even if your not catching fish at least your getting out. Try to keep the couch potato thing down to a minimum.

JB

· Administrator
5,370 Posts
I agree that the season is indeed what you make of it. While I always jones for the warm weather months, I still manage to get out during the winter.

Some may say the Northshore Channel smells, and sometimes near the treatment facility it does, but the water never freezes and catching 18" largemouth bass and 11+ inch crappie in December, January, and February, certainly cures the winter blues.

And as mentioned above, the warm water discharge at Busse is always fun for a few hours on a weekend morning or afternoon.

Let's also not forget ice fishing. Of course it ain't the same, but getting together with a few friends and enjoying the camaraderie out on the ice with a few tip-ups in the water can be a good time.

Yeah, winter sucks, but enjoying the outdoors can still be on the schedule.

· Registered
2,410 Posts
JasonN said:
Some may say the Northshore Channel smells, and sometimes near the treatment facility it does, but the water never freezes and catching 18" largemouth bass and 11+ inch crappie in December, January, and February, certainly cures the winter blues.

Let's also not forget ice fishing. Of course it ain't the same, but getting together with a few friends and enjoying the camaraderie out on the ice with a few tip-ups in the water can be a good time.
Well put Jason.

I can open the window of apartment, spit, and hit the NSC so count on a lot of reports coming from that area when the serious cold rolls in (even if I do only catch one fish :p).

I am also looking forward to trying ice fishing again. I tried ice fishing last year and didn't catch anything but I was clueless at the time. This winter I hope to get on my first fish through the ice.

· Registered
1,540 Posts
I'll have a report on Saturday and Sunday and Wednesday for ya. The seaon is never over. If I can fish every day I would but as you know I have to work to support my habit 8-5pm M-F witch sux. The daylight hours are coming shorter which does play a big part.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've fished almost everyday since mid July. Albeit, it might be just a half hour at Axehead but it works for me.

If I could fish through Christmas, I might just enjoy the holidays this year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.