Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
i have only been ice fishing a few times... but when i have gone i have just poked through holes left by other anglers that havent quite frozen back over yet. to do that all u need is some type of stick. if u r goin somewhere no1 has been though i think an auger would be best.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
I would say you are better off purchasing a cheap manual auger. One time in my illadviced youth, my friends and I decided a hatchet would work on our local creek. After chopping and chopping, we finally broke through. Unfortunately, a large chunk broke off and I ended up right in the drink. Luckily it was only a few feet deep. Still mighty cold though. Stick with the auger :p

555 Posts
FishinMatt said:
my friends and I decided a hatchet would work on our local creek. After chopping and chopping, we finally broke through. Unfortunately, a large chunk broke off and I ended up right in the drink.:p
That's what came to my mind when I first read this thread. :idea: You try to break the ice, when you weaken it all around you and you go in. I'd say at least stick to a manual auger for your own safety. Good luck. :p :) :wink:

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Philosopher in Meditation said:
FishinMatt said:
my friends and I decided a hatchet would work on our local creek. After chopping and chopping, we finally broke through. Unfortunately, a large chunk broke off and I ended up right in the drink.:p
That's what came to my mind when I first read this thread. :idea: You try to break the ice, when you weaken it all around you and you go in. I'd say at least stick to a manual auger for your own safety. Good luck. :p :) :wink:
Yep, kind of a silly story on my part, but if the water would of been deeper, we might of been in some serious trouble. Go ahead and buy a cheap auger if you really are serious about ice fishing.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Fishnut,

For one it will be interesting to see how someone can saw a hole or a square in teh ice when you dont have the correct angle to saw especailly if the ice is 6+ inches thick. Anyways I would spend the $50 for the auger you will have less problems, stress, and noise when cutting the hole.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Philosopher in Meditation said:
fishinkid5 said:
use a sledgehammer... works for me.. 4 or 5 solid hits in the same spot and you have a hole! :D
Let us know when that fails. :lol: :( :wink: :)
no im serious... im not sure if that would work now.. but when there was 3 or 4 inches of ice my friends and I would get right through with a sledge hammer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.