Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It doesn't matter if your brand new to fishing or a veteran angler, I need your participation and your opinions. Your participation will help me immensely with my marketing strategy. Everyone is encouraged to join the discussion! Thanks!

Focus Group Session 1:
Questions:

1. Which brand of hooks do you use and trust most? Gamakatsu, Owner, Eagle Claw, Mustad, Daichi, VMC, or other brand. Please answer this question with your vote in the poll but please explain your reasons here.

2. Made in the USA? Made in Japan? Made in China? Made in Korea? Does it matter to you where the product is made? How much does it influence you?

3. Are you willing to pay a higher price for certain brands because of where they were made?

4. Every major hook company has their own "patented" way of sharpening and producing their products. How much does their technology influence you? For example, Owner's Cutting Point, Daiichi's Bleeding Bait Hook or Mustad's Ulta Point.

Copy and paste the italized and colored questions or number them with your answers. Thanks a bunch in advance! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
1. anything made in america
2.its a major affect to me, if i see a sticker that says made in china or some foreign country, i will pass on the product. I prefer american made.
3.yes for american made
4. Different "patents" dont affect me too much, but if it is appealing and looks cool, I might take it into effect.

once again. good luck with your hook!!!!

·
Banned
655 Posts
Augy said:
Focus Group Session 1:
Questions:

1. Which brand of hooks do you use and trust most? Gamakatsu, Owner, Eagle Claw, Mustad, Daichi, VMC, or other brand. Please answer this question with your vote in the poll but please explain your reasons here.

2. Made in the USA? Made in Japan? Made in China? Made in Korea? Does it matter to you where the product is made? How much does it influence you?

3. Are you willing to pay a higher price for certain brands because of where they were made?

4. Every major hook company has their own "patented" way of sharpening and producing their products. How much does their technology influence you? For example, Owner's Cutting Point, Daiichi's Bleeding Bait Hook or Mustad's Ulta Point.[/i]
1) I voted for VMC. French-made but who really gives a shit... I use Rapalas nearly every day while fishing and VMC's, especially their treble hooks work wonders for me.
A close second is Gammy, as well as Eagle Claw.

2) Who cares.

3) Not location, but I pay more due to my loyalty in the brand as well as other personal-success factors.

4) Doesn't influence me at all.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts

like Gamakatsu single hooks, but for trebles, VMC.

I go with quality, so not China or Korea. (Sorry Augy)

I am willing to pay a higher price for a better product period no matter where it is produced.

4. Every major hook company has their own "patented" way of sharpening and producing their products. How much does their technology influence you? For example, Owner's Cutting Point, Daiichi's Bleeding Bait Hook or Mustad's Ulta Point.

I don't care as long as it works well.

·
Registered
341 Posts

Gamakatsu, Started using it a year ago and just have not been disappointed.

I could careless about where it is made.

I would not pay a higher price based on where it's made. If it works well even if it was made in the amazon jungle of brazil I would still pay extra for it.

I have no idea if one method is better than the other so, No. The the method of manufacturing does not really play a big part of my purchases.

Hope that helps Augy, good luck and I will personally buy your product. I've read your posts since i joined a year ago and I know you are a great angler with some good ideas.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts

Eagle Claw lazer sharp hooks & Owner ,personal preference and I have replaced some trebles with VMC & Excaliber rotating trebles,Excaliber seemed sharper but would bend fighting a bigger fish.

Not influenced at all.

I am willing to pay a higher price for quality

From the brands I`ve used I found that Eagle Claw & Owner stick in my fingers the most ,so imo r sharper lol

·
Registered
702 Posts

Eagle Claw 'cause I'm not that advanced of an angler. Plus, at the lake(s) I fish I tend to lose a ton of hooks and have yet to notice an appreciable difference in quality.

Prefer USA. Since I benefit from our economic sysytem I care about our economic health and providing more demostic jobs is a very good way to keep it healthy. But will buy foreign (Eagle Claw for all I know is foreign, but since you asked, and I am sure many of my lures are foreign made too, unfortunately). So it matters, but not solely conclusive.

Maybe. But again, I'm cheap. (and proud of that!) More factors than simply origin are important.

Not at all. If it hooks a fish that's all that matters. If it stays hooked that's a plus.

Hope it helps...

553 Posts
Focus Group Session 1:
Questions:

I mostly trust Gamakatsu hooks. I think they are the most versatile, and they haven't failed me yet.

I have to say that anything sounds better than made in China, but that usually means higher prices. To me Korean made sounds better than Chinese, American made sounds better than Korean, and Japanese sounds better than American.

Yes, I am willing to pay more for better quality.

I don't really care about how it's cut as long as it does its job well.

I hope that helps, and I just wish you good luck.:) :wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
1. Which brand of hooks do you use and trust most?

Eagle Claw..... I've pretty much used this brand since I was a kid but since I've gotten back into fishing within the past year I've used other brands of hooks and still always go back to eagle claw... that can change anytime soon.

I used to work with companies that imported products from overseas mainly China.... I don't think much quality comes from China.... YET! but I feel it's more quantity than quality from China.
Japanese products have a way of being efficient and of good quality for knives and hooks you can't forget that Japanese steel is some of the best, most of my cooking knives are Japanese.
Korea has good quality stuff out there now I can only see more good things coming from there.
As for the USA most of the time you pay a little or alot more but you always get what you paid for. When it comes to fishing products I tend to go with what I am comfortable and experience with.

Yeah... but if it's a US brand made in China no.

4. Every major hook company has their own "patented" way of sharpening and producing their products. How much does their technology influence you? For example, Owner's Cutting Point, Daiichi's Bleeding Bait Hook or Mustad's Ultra Point.

A hook is a hook it will go dull somewhere down the line and then you're just stuck with a normal hook once it's resharpened.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have a beef with Eagle Claw. I make my own jigs, I use fireline alot. I was losing fish and found that the loop where you attach the line on the eagle claw hooks was not fully closed allowing the fireline to slip through the gap. I contacted eagle claw and they sent me 200 hooks and appoligized. Quess what , the hooks they sent me all had a gap in the line loop !!!!!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

Gamakatsu, I have tried all of them and gammy seem to be the best quality, sharpest, never rust, or break, etc.

Nope, I used to be a huge proponent of by american, but now I buy to what will benefit my pocket book and family first.

No, not because of where they were made

Not sure but whatever gamakatsu does, but it works well for me

·
Registered
345 Posts

Gamakatsu

Id prefer made in the USA, but as long as the quality is good it doesnt really matter.

No

No influence at all.

·
Registered
511 Posts
1. Which brand of hooks do you use and trust most? Gamakatsu, Owner, Eagle Claw, Mustad, Daichi, VMC, or other brand.
eagle claw, because i love there baitholders, im my opinion, they are the strongest

2. Made in the USA? Made in Japan? Made in China? Made in Korea? Does it matter to you where the product is made? How much does it influence you? nothing at all, made in america

3. Are you willing to pay a higher price for certain brands because of where they were made? no

i like lazer-sharp eagle claw hooks, they are a lot sharper than normal :wink:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Which brand of hooks do you use and trust most?

Gamakatsu

Made in the USA? Made in Japan? Made in China? Made in Korea? Does it matter to you where the product is made? How much does it influence you?

made in usa or made in japan

Are you willing to pay a higher price for certain brands because of where they were made?

yes definetly if it will land the catch more frequintly

Every major hook company has their own "patented" way of sharpening and producing their products. How much does their technology influence you?

to be quite honest it doesnt matter i dont even know how they sharpen the hooks anyway as long as it will hold the catch most of the time.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
1. Owner is my top choice with Daichi right behind. I used Gamakatsu as well, but find that there are based as much on repuatation as performance. A solid #3 for me, but not at the top of the class. Owner and Daicha are wicked sharp and they also have backbone. It is hard to explain, but the hooks stick

2. I do not care where something is made. I will use the best product.

3. I will pay a higher price for quality, I do not even bother to look where hooks are made.

4. It is all based on catching fishermen, not fish. I go by on the water experience and testing of a product to make by decisions. If I see something I like, I will buy a pack and try it out. If it works, great, if not I just don't buy it again. I really don't find packs of hooks costing much more then $5, so it is relativly inexpensive to test new products and lines.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was at Bass Pro Shop on Saturday.... terrible service and people that day but that's another story. I checked out all the BPS branded stuff... just about 100% made in China.. kinda hard not to buy stuff that's not from overseas.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.