Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hour to kill this morning so I though I would head over to Axe Head. I have not fished there in a while. The cicadas were EVERYWHERE
hundreds in the water hundreds in the air. I stayed for 15 min and after just getting bombarded I gave it up. It's nasty and very loud. Only saw a few fish picking off the cicadas on the tops of the water. I don't think I'll return untill the nasty bugs are gone

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Basscaster, I'm with you on that one. I was there Saturday morning b/w 9AM and 11AM. I had cicadas all over me. On one spot, I made a mistake and hit a branch while casting. More than 20 cicadas fell out and swarmed me.

Bass fishing was decent. I landed two small ones and lost another three due to poor hook set on my part. I saw a nice 3lber in there by the shore, but was not interested.

I went to Belleau afterwards, but it was completely dead over there. There was a huge layer of algae forming on the surface by the south end.

I finished up at Glenview for nothing - no cicadas though. Got burned from the sun, but it still was relaxing after a long week at work.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I tried fishing with cicadas again at Belleua a few days ago. Those bugs are all over the place there too!

I fished with the little bastards for an hour or two and actually had multiple hits from tiny bass that I never hooked. I ended up I using a slip bobber and two weights as a make shift casting bubble, but I figured the big yellow and black bobber lured the fish away. I did see a decent 13" bass cruizing the shallow water picking off bug after bug: just never mine :( .

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
theres a million in my yard flying from tree to tree and if u look closley at 1 branch theres millions just sitting on it the sound is deafening :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.