Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met up with toothdoc for some afternoon fishing through the ice at Axehead lake. Mostly sunny; temps in the low 20's; northwest winds 5-10mph.

We worked a large portion of the north end of the lake and drilled approximately 12 holes. Worked jigs with wax worms and minnows under tip-ups at depths from 30 feet to 10 feet. Total skunk! :evil:

Spoke to one guy who said another angler closer to the south central shore caught several small largemouth bass with minnows and another guy who caught 1 perch.

It was certainly nice to get out, and it was a learning experience for both Tim and I - novice ice fishermen.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
It was a good day to be out ice fishing, but not a good day for catching anything. I think that the bright sun didn't help other than to make it feel warmer than it really was. It was great to meet up with Jason and we both learned how hard it is to cut through 12" of ice with a hand auger.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
12 " of ice on Axehead, nice !!

I ice fished for 3 years previous to last year. Good Success. But the crazy weather last year havn't been out since. But next year. I'll be back out ice fishing with a vex, A Underwater camera And All my other goodies. It's a Great time !!

Well, Good job out there Tim, And Jason thanks for the report.

George

:D

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I know what your saying about 12" with a hand auger, Doc. I drilled a lot of holes friday night and saturday with my hand auger. Thankfully I tried to sharpen the blades and ruined them. I didn't find out till i was on the lake and a nice fellow let me use his 8" gas auger. Those things a re sweet! I drilled 5 holes in less then 5 min. without breaking a sweat!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
There was a guy at Axehead with a gas auger when I got there yesterday. He left shortly after I arrived though. My brother, who lives up in Wisconsin has one and those things sure make short work of an otherwise hard job!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.