Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first start by saying that the CCFPD should have posted better signs about the 2 delays. But perhaps WindyCityFishing will post such information in the future.

Arrived at 4:15pm. Sunny skies, temps in the mid 70's, strong west wind 15-20mph.

Upon arriving, one angler was leaving with a 12" trout and a 10" trout both caught on minnows. He indicated that all the action seemed to be along the eastern shore which was stacked up with anglers.

I headed to the northwest corner and met up with Augy who caught a 11" trout with Berkely Power Bait. By 5:30 there were approx 130 people fishing around the entire lake. Space was tight but managable. Unfortunately, the fishing was VERY slow. As I was leaving at 6:15, saw a man on the eastern shore catch a beautiful 16" trout using a jigging spoon. Very nice fish.

I'm assuming the slow conditions are because the fish were just recently put in during the past 2 days. I'm betting that conditions will improve over the next couple of days.

·
Registered
392 Posts
do you think this weekend will be any better at axehead or belleau. I also have a question about the berkley power bait are u fishing off the bottom with it or are you using bobbers and if so how far down. :D

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I got the one trout yesterday with orange powerbait 3 feet off the bottom. But it's been rather a dissapointment using powerbait this spring. I went out again this morning using the same technique and nothing. Saw the guy next to me catch a couple using crawlers on a bobber about 2 feet down. The rainbows didn't want nothing to do with my powerbait as I saw them crusie by and I tossed it out right in front of them. A few of them swarmed around it and took a look at it but just swam away. Many of them were leaping out of water. There were many baitfish swimming around the shallows and that's what they went after. Too bad I didn't have any minnows with me. Tomorrow I'll be better prepared.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I've seen it before in a stocked pond in wisconsin. You need a very small mepps inline spinner, ideal for heavily pressured waters. Dance it with a short rise & fall retrieve. Keep in mind these are hatchery fish who haven't developed a "natural predatory" sense of finding prey. Catching these fish is not going to be like catching trout in the harbors along LM.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I tried small Mepp's spinners yesterday in the morning and the afternoon. Nothing was interested in it. I'm wondering how many fish were really released.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts