Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a late start today - 5:30AM. Walked down to the usual spot and fished next to Augy and Basscaster. Temperature was bearable especially b/c there was barely any wind. Fished till 6:50AM with only one bite. Decided to change locations and headed west. Got bit immediately on PB (rainbow), but couldn't set the hook right. After ten minutes, got another bite and was able to land this one. Left at 8AM. Only one fish, but that's all I needed to kick-start my day.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
good and bad news. I got 2 and missed 2. sick and tired of losing fish so i switched back to treble hooks.

good news is that there are plenty trout left. nothing like opening day but enough to keep me coming back. witnessed several fish jumping thru out the morning. it means they are active and available. :mrgreen:

bad news.... mike (basscaster) missed an early morning hit which means he's still skunked for the trout season. hang in there mike, your bound to get one. i admire your persistence, patience and determination to get one. kudos!!

funny thing happened. as i was about to string up my second trout, i slipped and the fish popped out of my hand and into the water. i tried to scoop it up but he managed to escape my frantic attempts to grab it. he was wounded pretty bad from a deep treble hookset. i saw him head towards the deep end but ended up about 8 feet from shore in some weeds belly up. i just happenned to have my baitcaster with an inline spinner with me so i started to pitch this spinner in the attempt to snag the trout back. everytime i touched him he would struggle and get deeper and deeper in the weeds. after about a dozen tries, i finally snagged him right in the tail and dragged him ashore. funny how that worked out cause i was never really good at pitching, but somehow i was pitchin that thing like denny brauer, farther and farther with each attempt. :mrgreen: not only did i get my trout back, because of that trout, i dialed in on my pitching stroke.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Good to see you guys out this morning. I was feeling a sick day coming on
but I had to be at a meeting or I would have stayed :cry:

Augy said:
bad news.... mike (basscaster) missed an early morning hit which means he's still skunked for the trout season.
I am going on Saturday with 5 rods. 3 with bait and 2 with spinners.

I'll get a limit .

Is it bass season yet?

#$%^&*....... TROUT :evil:

Glad to see you guys got some.

Pitching for trout Augy always pushing the sport to a new level....LOL

See you in the AM at AxeHead...South/West side....

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm with ya Augy. Pitching a bait out is my favoritee way to cast

Have you guys watched "man vs. wild" recently? It's on Discovery.. he caught some trout in the Colorado Rockies in a small pool of water with his bear hands, then bit into them raw... like a primative man.. it was pretty entertaining! :D

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Man vs wild is ok, but the show "survivor man" is much better. He makes Bear Grills look like a wuss. I was watching a little of man vs wild yesterday, and he said he was going to use a plastic bag filled with air to float down a river. When It showed him floating it was obvious he was wearing a life jacket under his sweatshirt! Plus he has a film crew with him. Survivorman is alone with a camera and a small tripod. I learned so much from the one episode I saw. He actually started a fire by twisting a stick againt a flat chunk of wood! 8)

·
Registered
341 Posts
krnfishboy7786 said:

Have you guys watched "man vs. wild" recently? It's on Discovery.. he caught some trout in the Colorado Rockies in a small pool of water with his bear hands, then bit into them raw... like a primative man.. it was pretty entertaining! :D
I saw that episode last night. It was pretty insane. The weird thing is that they are able to catch fish using paper clips, metal from springs, and bubble gum as bobbers while I have trouble with the most recent tools of the trade.

·
Registered
702 Posts
twoglasseyes said:
When It showed him floating it was obvious he was wearing a life jacket under his sweatshirt! Plus he has a film crew with him.
I saw that life jacket too!!! :lol: I mean, yeah hes got a safety net with the film crew, but at least be genuine about your advice and do what you say can be done! Kinda lame. But Survivorman seems more real, but even then you know hes got easy access to rescue.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i bet they season the raw fish with soy sauce and wasabi!!! remember to pack a few chinese takeout soy sauce packets and powder wasabi. never travel without...it could save your life!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
krnfishboy7786 said:

Thats was cool, although I would have to be pretty damn hungry to do that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.