Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of gramps and the fish he would haul out of lake michigan. The love of fishing runs in my entire family.

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
What a cool post. Thanks for sharing that Karen.

Anyone else have some fishing pics from back in the day?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Very cool.
That 3rd one is really clear!

The old days...
I collect Field & Stream, Outdoor Life and Other fishing mags from the 30-50's.

Huge fish on meager tackle compared to today.....

What year was the 3rd one taken??

·
Registered
308 Posts
There wasn't any spectra fiber braid, japanese fluorcarbon that costs $40 100yd spool. Or supermono b.s. People were fishing with thick nylon line on baitcast equipment without stupid magnets to stop over runs. They were catching bigger fish! The BASS limit was 10 fish. We can't catch a limit of 5! No GPS 1,000,000 megapixel Lowrance. I think we have to remember some times we suck compared to these guys that carved out the lures that we take for granted today. The jerkbait was a rapala with wire wrapped around the center hook to make it suspend. The Zara Spook is the Real McCoy. The L.C Sammy is a knock off. I love these pictures because I always realize that I have a long way to go as a fisherman. Thanks for posting the window to my future, and what I'm striving to be.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Cool photos, I too have very fond memories of the times shared with my great grandfather, grandfather, and father. thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Islandfisher said:
Thanks for posting karen, your gramps was a badass!
He was indeed. I sure miss him. As for the year on that third pic, had to be the early 70's.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
joelreiser said:
I'm trying to find the tubs of smelt we use to take out of Lake Michigan. Keep this thread going. Wait to you see these pics!!!
I used to go for the smelt every year. Boy does that bring back memories. You are only a true smelter if you bite the head off the first smelt of the night! Did you do it????

·
Registered
308 Posts
The smelt don't come into the harbors as much any more. Everyone had to bite the head off the first smelt they caught. They tasted SOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo good. We'd bread em and deep fry 'em at the lake front. Easiest fish to clean. Just use your thumb and push on the belly. Guts came right out. Throw the whole smelt in the breading. Drop into oil. What about the bones? The bones got so brittle in the oil. Eat the head and all. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Wash it down with some Schlitz.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.