Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Shimano Corvalus CVL300 bait caster and a medium action Shakespear Ugly Stick. I bought the bait caster for $80 and the rod for $40 looking to sell or trade for a spinning reel combo. This is my first bait caster and probably the last since I spend more time trying to fix the backlash instead of fishing. Looking for best offers or trades let me know thanks for looking.

[email protected]

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Oh man... that's kinds funny. I love my baitcaster BUT I SUCK AT IT! So you may just see mine up here soon too! :oops:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Both types of rods and reels have there place,its best to learn to use both. Before you give up on your bait caster try this. Put a bait on it that you plan to fish with, hold the rod tip up about 6 feet from the ground adjust the spool so when you hit the button you can count the bait down to the ground on its own weight 1 one thousand 2 one etc. Once you've done that pick a target about 15 to 20 feet away and just start tossing to it with light pressure on the spool with your thumb,when the bait gets about 3 feet from your target apply more pressure. When you get your timing down with this distance then increase to 25,30 ,35 etc. Tming is everything with a bait casteryou cast cast with more accuracy with it because you stop the bait at your speed. Once you can cast cast out as far as you can then pull off about 2 more yards of line,at this point put a loop of electrial tape arond the spool on the line 2 wraps around is good now if you cast and your timing is off the nest will stop at the tape its easier to get it out. If you get a fish that takes more line it will just pull the tape off. Once you know how to use a bait caster your presentation in different areas will be much different you'll like it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fish81156 said:
Both types of rods and reels have there place,its best to learn to use both. Before you give up on your bait caster try this. Put a bait on it that you plan to fish with, hold the rod tip up about 6 feet from the ground adjust the spool so when you hit the button you can count the bait down to the ground on its own weight 1 one thousand 2 one etc. Once you've done that pick a target about 15 to 20 feet away and just start tossing to it with light pressure on the spool with your thumb,when the bait gets about 3 feet from your target apply more pressure. When you get your timing down with this distance then increase to 25,30 ,35 etc. Tming is everything with a bait casteryou cast cast with more accuracy with it because you stop the bait at your speed. Once you can cast cast out as far as you can then pull off about 2 more yards of line,at this point put a loop of electrial tape arond the spool on the line 2 wraps around is good now if you cast and your timing is off the nest will stop at the tape its easier to get it out. If you get a fish that takes more line it will just pull the tape off. Once you know how to use a bait caster your presentation in different areas will be much different you'll like it.
Wow thanks for the helpful tip i'll try it. I guess my problem wit the baitcaster is that when i cast i get no distance and sometimes it goes everywhere but straight, funny to say i play golf the same way... I just wanna be able to launch that sucker and hit my targets with accuracy i guess i'll practice some more, thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
Let me preface this by saying that I am an expert at nothing. I am lucky if I can go to the bathroom correctly. That being said, my "Old Man" showed me years ago how to use a baitcaster. I learned on a small Ryobi V-Mag, which I still use today, and a Abu-Garcia Ambasseduer 5000, just picked up a new one.

First of all, look at the specs. on your reel, spool up the largest lb. test line that the reel is rated for. Heavier line may spook fish, but it will lessen backlash, and you can always spool up smaller line later, once you get the hang of things. Second, if you have any new fangled gadgets on the reel (i.e. magnetic clutch, etc.) turn them off-set them to zero. Use your thumb as a brake, you can mess with the gadgets later. The only thing you should use are the drag and the spool brake/clutch.

Set your drag, so that you are able to pull line out with the strength of your hand. Then do everything that-fish 81156-said to do. If you foul up a cast, get your thumb on the spool immediatly(sp.) to stop backlash.

If and when you do get a "professional overrun", press your cast button, press your thumb on the spool/line and pull and pull and pull until the nest is gone. After a backlash I like to use my thumb and index finger to hold the line just ahead of the reel and first guide to put tension on the line, and reel it in.

I was taught "old skool" so everything was done with monofiliment, when I learned. Recently, I put braided line on my Abu-Garcia and holy sh**, you can cast that crap a mile. But I have never used it before, and the jury is still out for me. So far, backlash problems are down about 50%, with it. I will keep you posted.

The most impotant thing to rember is to practice, practice, pratcice. Although catching fish is nice, alot of the fun, for me is getting out and using my stuff. Even if I cast 100 times and don't catch anything I still have fun. Oh, who am I crapping.

P.S. I like the tape idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.