Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no one in my life to teach me baitcaster technics. I bough one 4 years ago nice shimano combo around 200. i couldnt get used to it birdnests like crazy. later found out from co-worker about changing drag before every lure. im looking into a new one because got feed up with other one and sold it on ebay since i couldnt get hang of it. is there an tutriol videos or books to help me out. my goals now are stop realing on live bait that i started 2 years ago and want to get a nice setup. i love the spinner reels but baitcaster is calling my name. any help would be very apriciated.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i saw a quantum combo for 54 at lees. might pick it up for a learner.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The main point to a baitcaster is you can cast really accurately by stopping the lure with your thumb. And that you can cast alot, its less monkey motion than a spinning reel so you can get off 10 medium distance casts in no time.
A baitcaster is not so good for light lures or weightless plastics (other than heavy senkos and such) And low profile bass baitcasters arent for super distance casts. When you try to cast as far as humanly possible, with the brakes off, you risk a birdsnest no matter how good your thumb is.
All that said I love baitcasters, I just won a g loomis mbr783glx like 10 mins ago for 200 off retail, from a guy who tried it once and likes spinning :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Also all his auctions ended on the same minute. The unused one had only one bid at 200.
I do have a great seller of used/new japan reels and his auctions dont sell for much. He sent my reel from japan and I had it in less than 48 hours somehow?

·
Registered
369 Posts
in my experience picking up a cheap baitcaster to try to learn how to use these reels is a bad idea. you're better off paying at least 150 for a combo. The cheap ones just dont perform and you get a bad feeling for what a baitcaster has to offer because of the backlashes. Get a good reel and learn how to use the braking system. I would go with centrifugal.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
svslider said:
Old curados go for 50 on the ebay/
Just sent in an curado I have for 5 or 6 years now to Johny to send otu to get replaced for 20 bucks. It lasted me a great amount of years. But I did not use ti that much. Maybe 20 times a year. But are decent reels! :D A perfect intermediate starter reel for Baitcasting for sure!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I disagree on getting an expensive baitcaster only because I learned on the biggest, baddest baitcast combo you can find and it was a PAIN! It took me half a year to learn how to throw it without backlashing constantly and even then I was still pretty inaccurate. It was a heavy duty reel on a heavy rod and I was fairly young still, 14 I think. The reason my father wanted me to use this was because he knew if I could master this one, then all the rest would be a cake walk. I thank him ALL the time for this! I think it's actually easier for a beginner to cast a cheapo than an expensivo because it's not as smooth and you can't cast as far, thus making harder to get gnarly backlashes. I'd say go with a BPS brand combo since it's reasonably priced, I'm still using my "beginner" equipment from 8 years ago. This is all just my opinion and stuff from my personal experience. If you have to learn the hard way, it's probably better in the long run, right?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I just replaced the brakes on my Calcutta. Should be like now now! :lol:

My Curado is freshly rebuilt now. I may sell it if I buy a couple more reels. :wink:

But my top end bait casters will never leave my side.

But Spinning vs Baitcasting... It matters where/what/lures/structure and so on.... I love them both! :mrgreen:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.