Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping for some input on what you guys think is the way to go on bait casting gear. I haven't really gotten into it before, but I wan't to pick one up and practice in my yard to be ready for the spring. I know the basic principles on how they work and have used some before, but have never had one of my own. What would be a good quality starter setup?

Culprit's post on rods was very interesting and got me thinking. Suggestions in the mid-price range would be appreciated. I like quality and believe that one can tell the difference, but I'm also a little clumsy. :wink:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
When you say mid-price range, what exactly does that mean? $80?, $100?, $150?

You can get a Shimano Citica for $120 and it is a real nice reel. That might be a good starting point. The problem with the low-priced baitcasters is the braking system sucks and you will end up with a lot of "professional over-runs" and get frustrated and go back to your spinning gear.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I bought the daiwa tournament 100 baitcast from bps and it came with a bps rod. Works fine from what I've used it for... havn't gotten many backlashes after about two weeks of practice. To my experience it's a nice set up for about 70 dollars total. I'm sure i'll upgrade to higher quality products after a few more spring seasons or whenever i feel i deserve a better rod/reel. All in all, i think it's a great rig for a first time baitcaster. I also used to practice in my backyard haha. I looked like an idiot in front of my neighbors.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys. That shimano sounds good, Doc. I have always liked my shimano spinner and 120 sounds good too start. I'll probably have it for a while. Is that what you use? Any advice on what to look for when selecting a rod? I would assume its the same a picking the right rod for a spinning application.
As for that Daiwa, Gither, hows the braking action and the drag on it. I know you said you havn't had many backlashes, but if you had a second chance would you buy the same one or go for a little bit better one. I know price does not nessecarily determine the quality, but 70 for the combo seems too good to be true.
Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I myself have and use the same daiwa reel as gither and so does JasonN. It's a nice reel for the money. no problems with the brake or drag. mine is matched up with a daiwa mh 6'6 rod and love it.

you may want to start off with a mediam action when starting out instead of a mh. easier to learn how to cast.

backlashes are going to happen, period. doesn't matter if your kevin van dammit or joe schmoe. and no matter how expensive the reel, it's going to happen. nature of the beast.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I personally don't see many problems with the daiwa and read all the reviews for it prior to buying it. I'm a cheap college student so I probably read around 50-60 reviews online before i even bought it. All the reviews were great except maybe a handful with mechanical problems which they said they sent it in and were fixed without anymore problems. I would not buy this set up again because it is my first baitcast set up and i knew it was a learning process anyway. Don't get me wrong i'll probably stick with this rig for a few more years then upgrade when i feel as I deserve better gear. In my opinion, a new mechanic probably doesn't have the knowledge or the best tools, he just tries to get the job done. The digital breaking system/gloomis will have to wait till I deserve my promotion :p

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I personally don't have the Shimano Citica, but Krnfishboy does and likes it a lot. I plan on getting one though. Culprit is the person to ask about Diawa reels.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
It`s not the reels that cause the backlashes,its the user thats not familiar with his reel.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey glasseyes,

I've been a Quantum guy for the past few years but recently I've started buying Shimano Rods and Reels. (I still love Quantum though, but Shimano had more selection for a mid-class rod and reel)

I just bought the Shimano Citica 200D and it's amazing. I've decided on buying ALL Shimano Citicas and matching them up with the $90-$100 Shimano Compre series rods. That would make a $210-220 combo. If you're willing to spend about that much $, I'd DEFINITELY recommend getting the Citica with a matching Compre Rod (IM-8 graphite). (The reason why I started buying Shimano Compres is b/c they have a very broad selection in actions and lengths). I'd also recommend the cheaper Shimano Clarus series rods (IM-7 graphite) -- for 60-70 bucks a rod. They're both perfect for the Citica if you're going to buy it. The 200D is actually a larger reel so if you want a smaller one theres a 100 series I think.

If you want to spend a little bit less money, I'd personally recommend the KVD Quantum Signature series reel. They retail for $100 at BPS and I have two of them and they are smooth and very good reels to learn on. A very similar reel would be the old Quantum Accurist which used to be $100 bucks but I think that they're selling for around 70-80 if you look online.

I personally haven't had much luck with Daiwa reels. I also have the same reel that Augy, Jason, and Edai have... a Daiwa Capricorn from Dick's and I have been having lots of problems with it (mechanically, and just in general... it's not as smooth as my quantums and shimanos)

A great site to buy RODS would be:

www.tacklewarehouse.com

This website (if you buy anything over $50 bucks) they ship it to you for FREE. SO, if you buy a rod that costs over $50 bucks, you can buy it brand new with no tax and no shipping fees at all. So if a rod costs $90 you pay exactly 90 and it comes to your front door.

I agree with Augy, a 6' 6" Medium action rod would be a good all-around rod to use especially around the Chicago area. I personally like longer rods... I've been buying a lot of 7' ones lately.

I'd also reccomend looking on e-bay, I've had some luck buying fishing reels on ebay.

Okay, got a little carried away and wrote a lot. Good luck shoppin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts