Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried to cast with the magnetic setting on 3 (just fooling around, I'm not that good) and when i casted out i would thumb the spool a bit to reduce backlash, although i didn't get one a few times i would hear an arrrrrr screeching sound. I just bought the baitcaster and only used it for a month or so. Is it normal for this sound to occur due to inexperience in thumbing or is something broken? Have any of you had this occurence? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Ur grinding the gears,ur overpowering the cast.

·
Registered
383 Posts
do you mean ur reel is just loud when it casts?

I duno, one of my reels is pretty new and its kind of loud/makes a grinding noise when I cast but it still works fine, just is a lil noisy I guess... wish I knew how to grease and oil it up properly? It's that Daiwa Capricorn reel that a bunch of us WCFers got... do any of you guys have the same problem with that reel? It says 9 bearings, but my reel isn't that smooth...?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
The quantity of bearings isn't as important as the quality of the bearings. Try to give it a good lube with some Hot Sauce. I put that stuff on my spinning reels this year and it really made them smoother and quieter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tim, I have yet to fish with the capricorn baitcaster we bot over the summer. I fooled around with it once at the Lake front and failed miserably, and have yet to touch it since. Maybe next year, I'll get around to learning how to use it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey doc,
that's Quantum hot sauce right? I had one of my friends from the fishing team clean out and lube up my reels with that stuff and it worked really well on all of the reels except the Daiwa one I'm having trouble with.... maybe I just bought a faulty reel, or maybe I can take it into the shop when I get home.... :?

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
You'll get used to that reel, Eric. It's taken me a while, but each time gets better and better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts