Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two years of fooling around with chitty baitcasters that I've had handed down to me, I'm going to buy a decent setup. My question is what would be the best line to spool up with. Mono, Braid? I will mostly be throwing heavier baits (spinners, swimbaits, buzzbaits, etc.) with this and leave the lighter stuff for my spinning setup. What kind of line do you guys use on your casters? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I think braid, because if you get a bad backlash with mono you get a permanent kink in the line. And as far as price- I got my 600 yards of suffix braid cheap off of -guess where. And those are some of my favorite baits nowadays :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmm... I'm going to guess.. EBAY? I dunno, there's been a lot of hype about it lately, so I'm going to guess that. How does that suffix braid work for you?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I can spool you up with 50 lb if you show me a hawg hole. But if I dont get a hawg ill charge half of any store you find :) Mplant was losing more lipless cranks on cast using 30 lb because of a snapback on baitcaster, thats when it stops suddenly and not necessarily a birdnest, if line doesnt break it comes right undone. its never broken on me with 50 lb test/ 12 diameter suffix.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
svslider said:
I can spool you up with 50 lb if you show me a hawg hole. But if I dont get a hawg ill charge half of any store you find :) Mplant was losing more lipless cranks on cast using 30 lb with a snapback on baitcaster, its never happened to me with 50 lb.
happened once. and that was because i wasnt paying attention. i was out whipping you and your big name reel and 40 lb powerpro all day. 8)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Yeah but the first cast of your spinning reel you were like-wow i casted further than baitcast. the line comment referred to your 30 vs my 50 because I did my share of snapbacks all day too, and my bait wieghed over 2 times as much, felt like I was gonna break my rod :shock:
But to use a baitcaster best you need a target- notice how I was landing either right on top of the dock at end and dragging it in or landing 2 inches next to dock :)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
svslider said:
But to use a baitcaster best you need a target- notice how I was landing either right on top of the dock at end and dragging it in or landing 2 inches next to dock :)
The best is when you get it down to where you can skip with a baitcaster! :p

I love pitchin' baits tho! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
mplant1 said:
are you challenging me to a casting competition? ok, but we'll need to invite rootpro as well

8)
Without a doubt. Bring it svslider!! I don't need no fancy ass baitcaster to outdo mine. Just think yourself now, is it really worth going up againt the bash bros???

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Ill tell you what- I liked the way mplants daiwa casted. Except it was backwards. Im up to a baitcast challenge- at IG? But ill probably stick with my old daiwa because thats what im used to and still more accurate with./ Maybe we use a big old carp as the target since ig is full of them :)
and you guys really are bash bros because of those funny pants ins some of your pics- by bash bros I mean 1980s pro wrestlers lol :?:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
you guys crack me up! :lol:

Use a cup and a jig and stand 20 yards back and have a flippin contest! :wink: When I was really young. I use to practice in my driveway all the time. but I would stand on a recycling bin like I was on a boat ;) . It made the difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.