Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never fished with a baitcaster. What's the positives and negatives of having and fishing one? Also, does anyone know of a nice combo for under $100?

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I was a spin caster since I was young. I could put a lure with in a few inches of the target. This year I got a bait caster. The first few time I fished it I HATED it. :evil: I was gong to sell it on ebay after one really bad backlash......... Backlash just sucks. I kept with it and now that I know how to set it up for each type of lure..... I love it. Stick with it, learn how to fix a backlash(look for the "V" in the line and pull) learn how to set it up right. Different rod and reels are just tools for catching fish. Knowing
what tool to use at what time is the key.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I like to use a baitcaster when fishing heavy lures. Once you get the hang of it you will be able to cast much further. Since I mostly do finesse fishing, I mainly use a spinning reel though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey Phil, if you want a cheaper baticasting rod/reel combo I'd suggest you just go to Dick's or Bass Pro shops. If you go at the right time you'll find a combo for a really good price. Last time I picked up a rod/reel for $60, and the quantum reel that came with the combo retailed for $75.00 by itself when I looked online.

In terms of benefits, etc...
Benefits of baitcasting are
1. You can cast further and more accurately (controlling speed of line w/ ur thumb)
2. You can reel in much faster than on a spinning rod (baitcasters have high gear ratios) which is important for fishing crankbaits or lures that need to be fished fast
3. They usually come on stiffer rods that you can use to fish heavier lures, and different conditions...

the list goes on and on. It's definitely worht it to learn like basscaster said.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
That combo looks like a fairly nice one for the price. I would say that it probably is a good one to start on.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
"once you go bait caster you will never go back"

I would agree....if I had 2 rods on the boat i woud go to the bait caster 99% of the time NOW :lol: get one and learn it...it's a learning process
but stick with it and you will be happy you did. I am.

553 Posts
I use to use my bait caster all the time. But recently I started to use a new spinning outfit I got and I'm trying to finesse fish, with which I've had more success with than using my baitcaster casting those heavy lures. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
also a good idea on baitcasters is using flourocarbon. I use it on mine and the good thing about it is the abrasion resistance. When i get a backlash I can pull it right out and have no nicks or abrasions or bends/creases in my line whatsoever. It helps to prevent the loss of lures by getting a backlash, nickin the line or fraying the line a bit because of it, then on the next cast havin your lure snap right off. IDK, just my preference, but I really like it with the flourocarbon. It seems to cast a lot smoother as well, just watch you don't put too much pressure on the spool or you can burn/cut your thumb with the flourocarbon.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
In my little experience, the main benefit is control. The ability to aim and apply the correct speed to the lure on a cast just cannot be equaled with a spinning reel. The backlashed are a bitch, but once you get good at taking them out its no big deal. I just upgraded from a cheap quantum to the vandamm, and I love it. I will never go back, and am very glad I tried baitcasters. The only time I use spinning now is for ultralight panfish stuff, and other light/floating lures. My favorite line so far has been the berkley smooth casting XL. I know guys say that its good to start heavy with the lures and line, but I tried that and it wasnt working. Huge backlashes and it was hard to tell what I was doing wrong. So i tried the 8 lb and a 1/4 oz practice weight. It was a lot easier for me to get the fundamentals that way, and then work up to bigger lures and heavier line. Good luck in your quest. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
I could probably write an entire article on this Phil - as i'm a new baitcaster fisherman.

As for the ability to cast for accuracy - i'm SO much more accurate with a spin-casting setup. But that's because I did it for over 30 years until last year. And as others have said, finesse fishing really has to be done with spin-casting.

Being that i'm on season #2 with my bait caster ($90.00 combo from Dick's), I take it on just about every outing. The ability to work heavy lures and horse the fish in when the caught, it really is a different experience.

The rod I matched up with the reel is a medium-heavy and I probably should have gotten a medium action rod instead to be more comfortable.

I will say this... I'm sticking with it and even threw some Senko's with it this evening and getting better and better everyday.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've read that too steve, or with the crank/handle facing down, but unless i cast sidearm that doesn't seem to work at all for me.

I am a noob to baitcasting having started on spin-casting and going to spinning reels when i came back to fishing. Like Jason said, getting a fish on the b/c is a different feel, much better leverage and power, but casting is a bitch until you get a good balance of line/weight, lure setting, casting in one fluid motion, etc.

Honestly, just play around until you find what works for you. Everybody has found what works for them. Trial and error and ALWAYS bring your spinning gear so you can fish when you get frustrated! :lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like the speed advantage, my garcia revo STX will make sparks fly off of a buzzbait at a 7.1 to 1 gear ratio. its real fast!! plus you can cover alot of water faster. when your bait is in "dead water" I can get it in very fast to get it back to where I want it. cant beat the cranking power of a caster either. they just take some getting used to, dont get discouraged(easier said than done)
Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts