Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of going to a baitcasting reel this year and am leaning towards the daiwa viento. Does anyone have any expirience with this particular reel? I've read some good reviews but wanted to get another opinion. Also, I have all my spinning reels set up with the crank in my left hand. I've never used a baitcaster and was wondering if i should go with the left hand reel in the baitcaster as well. One other question, what would be a good medium/heavy versitile rod to go with this particular reel?

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I've never tried a viento so I can't help you there.

A left or right handed crank is ones personal preference. I have used both in the past. I like left handed a lot when I go on fishing trips and fish for 10 plus hours a day for a week straight. It's nice to cast with the right and crank with the left (doesn't wair you out as much).

Good luck with your future purchase!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
daiwa has the new megaforce series out with the twitchin bar for $59 bucks. not as nice as the viento but has the same feature for significantly less.

basscaster has a viento. imho i don't think you need that twitchin bar. you can mimick that action better with your hands and have a better feel to detect the strikes.

my everyday baitcasting reel is the quantum accurist pt. solid reel for the money. $130 bucks. spend the extra on the reel. you'll be much happier in the long run.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Once you start baitcasting you'll never go back unless you need to cast a light lure.

I think the more you can spend on the baitcaster the better. I'd never mess with those under 75 dollars again. I used to buy the "Sportmart Specials" like the Black Max, and Shimano Lexicas and just trash them in a season.

My main baitcaster last year was a Quantum KVD. I just upgraded to the Quantum Energy Pt Burner w/ a St. Croix 6'6" MH rod. Haven't got much use yet, but it's unbelievably smooth.

My favorite rod length for Illinois bass fishing is the 6'6 MH.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
U can easily cast a 1/16th oz jig with a 3" grub w/10lb test on a quality baitcaster.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Culprit said:
U can easily cast a 1/16th oz jig with a 3" grub w/10lb test on a quality baitcaster.
So True, as long as you adjust the Magnets and Tension right ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.