Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone lese see this? What a load of crap!!

Sen. Heather Steans (D-Chicago) has introduced a bill (Senate Bill 1269) in the Illinois legislature that would end the sale or distribution of lead sinkers and lead jigs.

Steans' bill would also prohibit the use of lead sinkers and lead jigs in "freshwater lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, brooks, and similar bodies of water over which the Department of Natural Resources ("the Department") has jurisdiction."

Here is a synopsis of the bill:

Creates the Lead Sinker Act. Prohibits any person from selling, supplying, distributing or offering to sell, supply, or distribute lead sinkers and lead jigs. Prohibits the use of lead sinkers and lead jigs to take fish in freshwater lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, brooks, and similar bodies of water over which the Department of Natural Resources ("the Department") has jurisdiction under the Rivers, Lakes, and Streams Act. Requires the Department, after consulting with the Illinois State Board of Education, to institute an educational program that meets certain requirements. Requires the Department to (i) notify the public about the Act's prohibitions; (ii) enforce the Act; (iii) confiscate, under certain circumstances, lead jigs or lead sinkers that it finds in the course of enforcing the Act; and (iv) suspend, for not more than 6 months, the hunting and fishing privileges of a person who uses a lead sinker or lead jig to take fish in violation of the Act. Provides fines for violations. Effective one year after becoming law.
Click here to read the complete text of Steans' bill.

There is also an interesting discussion of the proposed bill on the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance forum.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
It may or may not pass, but TGE is right that lead is bad and the writing is probably on the wall for it. I know that a number of places have already banned it, so it is probably only a matter of time before that happens elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Lead is bad, but what are there any alternatives? I remember growing up fishing in Guam using sparkplugs as a sinker. My dad was a mechanic, so this was plentiful.

I'm always curious to see how they are going to enforce anglers from using them. The DNR doesn't have enough people to enforce fishing licenses and poaching. How are they going to enforce this one (the use of)?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I Doubt it. if that happens i am just going to give up fishing in illinois all together, and rely on wisconsin for my stompin grounds. I hate ill. this states is a joke when it comes to legislation, espescially in the DNR department.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
I've kind of gotten used to all those California warnings on my tackle. With all the advances in technology I suppose it will phase out eventually. It would probably be a good thing for me. I have a bad habit of chewing on my lead weights :? :p

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I don't anticipate it being a problem for the type of fishing that I do here. But for Canada that is a different story. You are right, how are they going to enforce it? Plus with the internet, even if they outlaw the sale of it in state there is always the internet. :wink:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Its worse for birds eating lead shot vs. fish.
Birds have an internal mechanism for using the lead to help degrade food.
Acid in the stomach breaks down the lead.
The its into the system..

Most lead only becomes soluble in acidic conditions.
I don't have the exact pH value (~6.5 where most surface water is 7.5-7.0),
but for full dissolution the pH and DO might not be sufficient where fish could survive anyways.

I don't believe lost lead in the form of a sinker will dissolve and contaminate your pond.

Plus what about powder coated or painted lead head jigs?
No exposed lead to "potentailly" become mobile..

Rather a worse health hazard is creating your own jigs and breathing in the molten lead vapors.
Ever add lead to a pinewood derby car?
Those vapors are probably 10,000x more toxic to a human than loosing a piece of lead sinker.
And then eating a fish from that lake.

Is lead potentially toxic?
Yes under the right conditions and depending on its migration pathway
for inhalation or how its ingested.

I'm for better water quality, but banning Coated lead jigs is absurd.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Why ban them?

Lead lost is Bad for the water, fish, birds or folks eating the fish?

I haven't been able to find data showing Illinois with a "Lead" surface water problem.
Or for that matter detectable levels that are approaching drinking water hazards.

What about leadcore trolling lines?
Don't see that added anywhere.
Lil thing called policy mandering!

Whats next?
Ban all plastic from waterways because it could clog water intake and ruin a lower unit?

:evil:

·
Registered
594 Posts
PERFECT!

Lets create the "Plastic Act".

Creates the Plastic Act. Prohibits any person from selling, supplying, distributing or offering to sell, supply, or distribute plastic bags. Prohibits the use of plastic bags while fishing in freshwater lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, brooks, and similar bodies of water over which the Department of Natural Resources ("the Department") has jurisdiction under the Rivers, Lakes, and Streams Act. Requires the Department, after consulting with the Illinois State Board of Education, to institute an educational program that meets certain requirements. Requires the Department to (i) notify the public about the Act's prohibitions; (ii) enforce the Act; (iii) confiscate, under certain circumstances, plastic bags that it finds in the course of enforcing the Act; and (iv) suspend, for not more than 6 months, the hunting and fishing privileges of a person who uses plastic bags while fishing in violation of the Act. Provides fines for violations. Effective one year after becoming law.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
That'll work.

P.S. I dont think a plastic bag would "burn out" a "lower unit" by clogging the "intake." Clogged water intake would cause you to overheat. It would have to be one heck of a plastic bag to break a driveshaft, strip a gear or ruin a clutch. :wink:

·
Registered
594 Posts
twoglasseyes said:
P.S. I dont think a plastic bag would "burn out" a "lower unit" by clogging the "intake." Clogged water intake would cause you to overheat. It would have to be one heck of a plastic bag to break a driveshaft, strip a gear or ruin a clutch. :wink:
OK so a waterpump with parts & labor... :?
been there done that.

Just following the same "Sky is falling" scenario..

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
A plastic bag blew out my motor on my Min Kotta Powerdrive. I was plowing through some heavy slop like I always do when I saw smoke coming out of the base. Took off the prop and low and behold I had picked up a plastic bag in that mess that had spun around the shaft and caused it to seize. I am now officially an advocate of the plastic bag ban. From now on I will store my fritos in a tupperware container while on the boat!!!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
the whole lead ban kinda bums me out...fisherman have been using lead for years...and now it is a problem!

plus tungsten is a lot of $$$. But better for mother earth is better for mother earth!

But i will agree with the Bag Ban! It really does piss me off to see bags floating around in lakes...the harbors are just full of crazy crap. Remember the post Rich L posted with all the condoms floating around!...that is just the half! I also really hate seeing styrofoam cups too...can we get a ban going for thos too! 8)

jaypee the hhf!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Fishthoughts said:
Lead is bad, but what are there any alternatives?
Tungsten, Tungsten/Nickel alloy, Bismuth, Steel alloy...are just a few alternatives.

I've been trying to phase out my lead fishing products for a while now...so obviously I support the ban.

However NOT the way it is being presented.

·
Registered
382 Posts
For anyone who pours their own jigs, let me know. At work, I have access to, seriously, however much you want. Same with tungsten. :)

Granted, it's all been used on radioactive machines used for cancer treatment, but I can get some. :twisted:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Gramps used to pour his own jigs. After he passed, I shoveled a pile of lead out of the garage that would have filled a 55 gal drum. :shock: I'm with Darth on this. I support it, but NOT in its current form.

An added thought:

When caching, we do a thing called "CITO" (Cache In Trash Out). While caching, we carry a small garbage bag, and pick up any litter along the way (especially in FP's). If you are already in a place, it does not take much to pick up a little litter. This is not hard to do when fishing. There is usually cans, chip bags, and piles of old line left in popular fishing spots.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.