Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have some luck on my side this year by using crawlers to catch bass how ever it seems like I am hooking them to late, as then seem to just swallow the entire hook. I dont try to rip it out I just cut the line and let them go, cause I know it will fall out in a while. When do you set the hook? And whats the best hook to use for live bait? Currently I found a 4/0 Eagle claw razor sharp works pretty good. Also what a good way to target walleye?
Id like to start trying artificial bait, but dont really know how to use them...

Thanks everybody!

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Hey Danno...

If you are going to target walleye, first make sure you are fishing some good walleye waters such as Skokie Lagoons or Busse Lake. Walleye usually hang near the bottom so a jig/minnow combo hopped along the bottom with short pauses is a good way to start. While bass can often be found in thick weeds, walleye prefer rocky/sandy waters with structure suck as large rocks, drops-offs, tree stumps. And low light can be important too. Though they can be caught in the middle of the day, walleye prefer low-light conditions as their eyes are very sensitive to light.

For artificials, I like to use medium/deep diving crank baits and work them so they make contact with the bottom and with structure.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure does help Jason, Being a noob I need tons of help.
The skokie lagoons are only 5 mins away from work and on my way home, so I can stop by there just about any day.. To convenient.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Good advice Jason. Bottom contact and using crawlers, minnows, or leeches is a good bet. Like Jason said, the most important thing is being on some water that has a good population. In clear lakes, most of the time fish are going to be deep. In stained lakes like you will often find them shallow. Look for wind and current and you will be in business. One of my favorite spots to fish in stained water is neckdown areas, because if the body of water has any size there will always be current there.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
try using octopus/circle hooks for live bait as they are suppose to reduce gut hooks. you may want to consider pinching the barb down so that you can easily remove them if they do swallow it.

as far as artificials, you'll never learn unless you actually start to use them. start slow with a few different options. for bass i'd probably start with plastic worms texas rigged either weightless or with a small split shot a foot or two above the worm and throw them into weeds/structure. yamamoto senkos are a favorite artificial bait wcf members like to use and probably one of the most effective for bass.

i'm sure others will jump in and offer their advice. goodluck and look forward to some kickass reports. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
702 Posts
For LMB senkos are great, I learned them last year, but it take a little time to get the tech down to where you are working them patiently. They do pay off though in the end. Backing off the barbs is good. I didn't have good results with circle hooks so don't use em. For riggin senkos I just try to get the smallest hook I can get away with, the cheapest hook (the ones most likely to rust away if left in the gut) and bend back the barb.

I don't even target walleye around here, but might try this season.

·
Registered
401 Posts
pretty much seems like everyone has hit the nail on the head. with the walleye sunup and sundown are best times to get ahold of some nice ones. If you can get ahold of a boat theres quite a few lakes/rivers with good populations of walleye. you want to target rocky/sandy points with shallow flats close to deep water. If there's pea-gravel or any other kind of small pebbles mixed in with sand this is the area you'll want to target for walleye on well-populated walleye waters. also weed lines with shallow water close to deep dropoffs can be a good target area. as for bass... it's always different. fish weed lines, rocky dropoffs, riprap(rock) shorelines, etc. Try different depths, speeds, etc. With your artificials you can present them many different ways and theres SOOOO many to choose from. I like using spinner baits and buzz baits run somewhat fast over the tops of submerged weeds/logs/rocks. spinner baits are probably one of the easiest artificials to start out with as it's almost always just a cast out/retrieve back in method remembering to always keep it moving fast enough to keep the blades spinning. Crankbaits can be fished almost the same way and they make them for all different depths so you can run them over the top of submerged weeds, logs, and brush, or you can get deep divers and bounce the sandy and rocky bottoms with them. Remember to always vary your speeds and retrievals. try pausing and letting the lures suspend or float to the surface, try reeling it in fast, slow, all different ways. when you find what works you do that until you stop catching fish that way, then you switch it up again. fish are in different moods every day depending on weather, sun, rain, wind, etc. so always, always change up your presentation. also... with summer coming you want to target shallow water earlier in the day and deeper water during the hot afternoons. you can go back to shallower water during the evening/sundown as well. on sunny days the fish will be in shallow during the early mornings hunting before the hot sun forces them back down to deeper water and into weed beds, etc. during afternoons with that hot sun beating down on the water go for deeper water, slower presentations, and cool weedbeds. hope this helps!!!!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I have tried many different plastics, but there are 3 different ones that I like to use the most. Yamamoto Senkos or Yum Dingers, Zoom Trick Worms, and lizards. The bass in my avatar was caught with a black Trick Worm.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just like anything, the more you do something the better you will get at it. Diffrent people like diffrent things. Most guys here like the senko soft baits. Guys here are really hot about the new rapala x-rap. Pick up a few basic baits and get comfortable with them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tip guys!
I picked up a No 5 Shad Rap yesterday and did pretty good with it, Caught 1 Large mouth(12") and 2 crappies on it. Until it got hung up on a stump and aI lost it.... Still trying to work the senkos.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Shad raps can be deadly, when u get snagged and cant seem to get unstuck let some line out. They float, and once in awhile esp if they are snagged on rocks they will free themselves.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree with Augy on the circle hooks. I just started using them this year for live bait and haven't gut hooked a fish yet (knock on wood). This also solves the hook set issue too, because you start reeling and let the fish hook themselves. Not only is the hookset unnecessary, but you will pull the bait out of the fishes mouth most of the time if you do try to set the hook. I haven't had a lot of luck with artificials for walleye, but a jig and any type of live bait usually does the trick. I like the Lindy Little Joe crawler harnesses with spinner and a walking sinker for current. The best bet for eyes at Busse is to stay away from the dam if it is crowded and move down the creek a bit . If you do catch an eye, beat the area to death for 15 minutes and you will usually get a second and third walleye. That's my limited knowledge of walleye fishing - hope it helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.