Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, here's one for you. what is the top 3 producing baits/lures in your tackle box for bass. We all fish for them so let's here about your go to stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
me, i'm a soft plastics guy with the occasional crankbaits. not much of a spinner user, although i should practice with them more.

1. 5" grn pumkin/black flake senko
2. 4" smoke pearl yum dinger
3. shoot, i really don't have a go to 3rd other than a toss up between a rapala x-rap and j5.

these have produced the most bass for me the past couple of years. let's hear about what you guys have had success with.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
1) 5 inch Senko in various colors.
2) Rapala Jointed Shad Rap
3) Rapala X-rap

·
Registered
702 Posts
1) 5" pumkinseed senko
2) Various spinners/chatterbait
3) Johnson's Silver Spoon (I know, it seems out of place but seems to work ok when the weeds are tough and the above two aren't workin')

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Hmmm.... I would have to say my top 3 bass lures are...

1. Senko's
2. Topwater Pop'rs
3. Texas rigged plastic worms

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Mine would be

1. 4" Yum dinger grn/pumpkin chart tail
2. 3/8oz spinnerbait blk,wht,chart
3. Jitterbug

shallow shad rap perch and xraps would be next

Jason its funny, I know alot of people that use pop'rs, never even had a hit on them. I might be werking them wrong. :lol:

·
Registered
235 Posts
My list depends a lot on when/where I'm fishing and the structures present/absent.

1. Plastics worms and tubes
2. 1/4 oz. tandem willow blade spinnerbaits
3. Rat-L-Traps

I listed soft plastics first but definitely wouldn't have even mentioned them last year. I've only begun learning how to fish them properly this year and am really liking them a lot. Besides, if I'm at a place like the north shore channel of the chicago river, I'm not going to throw anything that costs more than $1 because of the frequent snags.

I had pretty good luck with tandem spinnerbaits at Beck last year, but they're not really doing much for me these days with the weeds getting thicker. Ditto for the Rat-L-Traps.

For smaller LM bass from the NSC, I like to toss 1/8 oz. Blue Fox Flash spinners. They're cheap, and almost always hook into a bass within the first 5 casts of every one of my visits to the NSC. But for the larger LM bass, I've learned that soft plastics is WAY better than rooster tail spinners.

I guess it all depends on whether I feel like going for quality (size) or quantity.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
1) 1/4 oz chartruse bleeding spinner with dual colorado blades
2) Baby minus 1 firetiger
3) A budwiser if those don't work

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
3'' Yum Dinger rigged wacky, Black w/ chartruse tail
X-Rap, Perch and Clown
Northland Reed Runner 1/2 ounce spinnerbait, Sunrise
3'' Lindy Shadling Crankbait
Too many buzzbait types to list :p

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
matt, how do you work wacky rigs? i've been experimenting a little with them but not sure how others are rigging/working them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts