Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the river twice in the past week for around an hour each time. I didn't get them dialed in either time. Today I worked seams next to fast water, nada, then deeper slower water next to rip rap, nada. Seeing how I couldn't find them in the usual spots I just started fan casting an xrap working my way back to the truck. Almost got the skunk when this little guy came out to play.

almost couldn't believe it was a fish on my line

and of course you can't throw an xrap with out picking up one of these SOBs

here's a decent fish bad picture from the other outing

As usual especially this time year a bigger bait = a bigger fish. The raps I was throwing

I threw rebel craws, jig and twister, helgies, and few other colored rapalas with no action. It seems the clouds I was hoping for early have finally moved in. I'm a little frustrated with my lunch break results so I'll be heading to STC for the evening bite. The river is running clearer then
I prefer but in great shape, not too many leaves yet.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Thanks for the report...looks like things are starting to slow a bit out there maybe. Keep on persevering!

I love those xraps....a bit pricey but they look good in the water fo sho!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I took my kayak out for the last time this year and I agree...it was real hard to find a pattern. 2 smb's, 2 lmb's, and a quillback. Nothing of any decent size. Did spend most of my time paddling and exploring, though.

Hope STC produces for you this evening 8)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, it's been frustrating lately only having an hour each trip. That's barely enough time to get wet.

I like the raps too esp. that color but from what I've been reading I have to look into the pins minnows. I did find two baits fishing STC in the evening. a J-7 firetiger and "Is that what I think it is???"

why yes, yes it is.

I've been trying to find this bait for a couple months. I never expected to find it in the river. However, I was not the least bit surprised it was the right color. It wasn't tied braid so that rules out DW. So to who ever lost it during the high water next to the island, THANKS! It was snagged on 5/8 inch rope, probably from when that boat that flipped.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I'd take that as a sign...The river gods are looking down on you favorably!!

I think I may have told you this story, but here goes...A couple years ago I found a beat up, dirty vampire pattern floating rapala with rusty old hooks. I took it home, cleaned it up, and put some new trebles on it....later that day I tied it on and promptly caught 9 smallies and a couple walleyes within the span of a half hour before giving it back to the river. I always think about that when I find a lure in the river now :)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It's always nice to find a few lures, it sometimes makes up for the ones ya lose.. :lol: Just swap the hooks after cleaning em up.

BTW. is that a snap-on sticker on your Box? Haha thats the only tools I use and trust! :p You just reminded me of a payment I have at the end of this month... I still Owe Snap-On Money! :x LOL

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Lmao!

Judging by the gamakatsu upgraded hooks (if you can call that an upgrade :? ) I'd say that lure belonged to Tom Fisherman. 8)

Very nice find as those are on "special order" in tackle shops all around the area=)

BustaNut :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.