Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the boat out for a couple hours this morning with Basscaster Mike.
All we could come up with were 3 dink bass :(
There was a flock of about 12 cormorants perched on a tree ,not a good sign ,as I hear they can empty a small lake of fish in no time :shock:
Beautiful day to be out ,too bad the fish didnt cooperate.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Thanks for the report, atleast you didn't get the skunk! :wink:

I heard the Cormorants can eat up to 2.5 lbs of fish a day! :shock: Thats just what I have heard though :?

Did you see the 2 Loons that come back every year? Earlier this year I only saw one when there use to be 2 of them :(

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
If there were cormorants there, that is a bad sign. You see hundreds of them up in Door County and I think that it one reason why the perch population up there has gone down significantly over the last 10 years or so. Thanks for the report guys.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
A shotgun is too loud and obvious.. I woud go with a small .22 pistol like an old smith n wesson... :wink:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was reading an article about a boy scout troop in Wisconsin that helped bring Cormorants back from virtual extinction in the 70's and are now wishing they hadn't. Apparently they are loud, obnoxious, crap everywhere (like geese don't do a good enough job) and deplete fish population.

·
Registered
48 Posts
From wikipedia.com (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cormorant_fishing):

"Humans have historically exploited cormorant fishing skills, in China, Japan, and Macedonia, where they have been trained by fishermen.

A snare is tied near the base of the bird's throat, which allows the bird to swallow only small fish. When the bird captures and tries to swallow a large fish, the fish is caught in the bird's throat. When the bird returns to the fisherman's raft, the fisherman helps the bird to remove the fish from its throat. The method is not as common today, since more efficient methods of catching fish have been developed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cormorant_ ... gara_River

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dammit i thought i saw some comerants at Idependence Grove over the weekedn but thought it was just me misidentifying the birds.

Those birds are a non native plague to lakes and fish populations in all over Minnesota. The biggest bitch is they are a protected species

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dammit i thought i saw some comerants at Idependence Grove over the weekedn but thought it was just me misidentifying the birds.

Those birds are a non native plague to lakes and fish populations in all over Minnesota. The biggest bitch is they are a protected species

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.