Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rudy and I took his boat out to Beck yesterday from 4:30pm-7:00pm. Our hopes were to see some bass in the shallows starting to build their beds. However the lake was still really cloudy (probably from the water level being up) and we had trouble seeing anything. Beck is usually gin clear in the spring but that might not be until next week.

We worked the entire west end from the boat launch to just North of the island throwing all sorts of things; traps, cranks, spinnerbaits, plastics, ect. I finally broke my open water skunk streak and landed the 13"er below. I usually wouldn't post a pic of one 13"er but I've been out a bunch in the last week and the only thing I had to show for it was one small crappie that I accidently snagged. :oops:

I caught him on a white Mini-king spinnerbait with a 3" green twister. It was a really nice day to be out on the boat again.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nice Job Sean! I see you didn't try the North/East Corner of the lake??? That would be the warmest part... :wink:

I usually do great on Beck once the buds start to flower on the trees... Just a little tip

Great Job getting on that bass though!

I like the Hoodie Jay-Pee made for ya! :lol:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
It's always nice to see another bass from Beck. That spot you guys fished will produce once the water warms up a little more. Dave is right though, the NE corner is the warmest spot on the lake right now. :wink:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Hey guys, just an fyi. I found out last night, that in the state of Illinois, any craft powered by an electric motor (or any form of "machinery") is required to follow a few guidelines I was unaware of. You need to have your battery boxed, AND MOUNTED TO THE FLOOR OR SEATS. In a way that it will not fall off if the boat overturns. Also, you NEED A HORN/WHISTLE just like at Deep Lake, even with just the electric motor. I was given a safety inspection, and these were the only issues. The only thing you dont need is the fire extinguiser. The officer was very nice, and she even took the time to bring out the big black book and show me why the boat qualified as a motor boat, and how it decribed the nescessary battery box mounting. It would have been two $75 tickets, but thankfuly I was only given written warnings. I will be in full compliance next time, and am actually glad that they are out in full force. Both Conservation Police and FP police were on the scene doing their thing yesterday. :mrgreen:

Just making sure no members of the armada are caught un-prepared. :wink:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Rudy, my buddy recieved a ticket at Busse for not having a fire extinguisher from a Woman Ranger. She just might have been having a bad day though.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Nice Bass Sean

Thanks Rudy for the update..Glad ya did not get the $75.00 lesson :shock: and just a warning

Is there a set of laws for FP ponds that can be printed???

·
Super Moderator
6,284 Posts
toothdoc said:
So now the battery box needs to be mounted? How the heck are we supposed to do that on Jack's rentals at Deep? :?
I was wondering the same thing. You would think that Jack would have to be in compliance. Maybe he can glue some strips in the back to keep the box flush against the back transom. I don't know how the DNR would expect every single renter bringing a TM to have some kind of temporary mounting solution. Damn, and I was all proud of the fact I remembered to buy an extra whistle for the rentals this year :roll: Pretty soon we will have to be bonded just to leave the dock.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Good point doc. I wonder how that works. I assumed the Conservation Police officer I dealt with would have been enforcing statewide regulations. Maybe I'm wrong. Are they a state agency or are they enforcing County regulations. If its a county thing, maybe its not part of Lake Counties rules.

Anyway, I asked about what a minimum acceptable "mount" would be, and a well placed bungee cord should do the job. She implied that any good faith effort to secure it would suffice.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Everything I found on the DNR website speaks to personally owned watercraft so I don't know how that would translate to boat rentals. I could see it being very difficult to secure the battery on a row boat rental versus a boat you own. In the times I have been stopped on Deep Lake before I have never had any problems with how the battery was in the boat.

Maybe your experience happened more because it was a FPD lake and they are more strict on those. :?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Bring a couple long ratchet straps and a D-ring or 2.. Im sure there is a way to figure it out with those tools... :wink:

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Fishing is getting complicated :cry:

but like all laws it's up to interpretation .....so this sure helps

twoglasseyes said:
She implied that any good faith effort to secure it would suffice.
My boat has a secure box so the previous owner must have known the law :lol:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yeah, mounting the battery? I would like to see that... Is this something new for 2009? No officer has ever made mention of that to me and I have been checked while in my boat a few times now... That is definitely something new to me... - BPM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Excerpts from State law....
(625 ILCS 45/) Boat Registration and Safety Act.

(625 ILCS 45/1‑2) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 311‑2)
Sec. 1‑2. Definitions. As used in this Act, unless the context clearly requires a different meaning:
"Vessel" or "Watercraft" means every description of watercraft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, except a seaplane on the water, innertube, air mattress or similar device, and boats used for concession rides in artificial bodies of water designed and used exclusively for such concessions.
"Motorboat" means any vessel propelled by machinery, whether or not such machinery is the principal source of propulsion, but does not include a vessel which has a valid marine document issued by the Bureau of Customs of the United States Government or any Federal agency successor thereto.

(625 ILCS 45/4‑4) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 314‑4)
Sec. 4‑4. Whistles.) It is unlawful to operate a motorboat without a mouth, hand or power operated whistle, horn or other appliance, capable of producing a blast of 2 seconds or more duration and audible for at least one‑half mile.
(Source: P.A. 82‑783.)

(625 ILCS 45/4‑5) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 314‑5)
Sec. 4‑5. Fire extinguisher. It is unlawful to operate a motorboat equipped with an internal combustion engine anywhere in this State without at least one U. S. Coast Guard approved fire extinguisher, so placed as to be readily accessible and in such condition as to be ready for immediate and effective use.
(Source: P.A. 85‑149.)

(625 ILCS 45/4‑10) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 314‑10)
Sec. 4‑10. Battery Covers. Every motorboat equipped with storage batteries shall be provided with suitable supports and secured against shifting with the motion of the boat. Such storage batteries shall be equipped with non‑conductive shielding means to prevent accidental shorting of battery terminals.
(Source: P.A. 82‑783.)

Also... You need to register that boat/canoe/kayak/paddle boat with the State too.....

(625 ILCS 45/3‑1) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 313‑1)
Sec. 3‑1. Unlawful operation of unnumbered watercraft. Every watercraft other than sailboards, on waters within the jurisdiction of this State shall be numbered. No person may operate or give permission for the operation of any such watercraft on such waters unless the watercraft is numbered in accordance with this Act, or in accordance with applicable Federal law, or in accordance with a Federally‑approved numbering system of another State, and unless (1) the certificate of number awarded to such watercraft is in full force and effect, and (2) the identifying number set forth in the certificate of number is displayed on each side of the bow of such watercraft.
(Source: P.A. 85‑149.)

(625 ILCS 45/3‑12) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 313‑12)
Sec. 3‑12. Exemption from numbering provisions of this Act. A watercraft shall not be required to be numbered under this Act if it is:
A. A watercraft which has a valid marine document issued by the United States Coast Guard, provided the owner of any such vessel used upon the waters of this State for more than 60 days in any calendar year shall be required to comply with the registration requirements of Section 3‑9 of this Act.
B. Already covered by a number in full force and effect which has been awarded to it pursuant to Federal law or a Federally‑approved numbering system of another State, if such boat will not be within this State for a period in excess of 60 consecutive days.
C. A watercraft from a country other than the United States temporarily using the waters of this State.
D. A watercraft whose owner is the United States, a State or a subdivision thereof, and used solely for official purposes and clearly identifiable.
E. A vessel used exclusively as a ship's lifeboat.
F. A watercraft belonging to a class of boats which has been exempted from numbering by the Department after such agency has found that an agency of the Federal Government has a numbering system applicable to the class of watercraft to which the watercraft in question belongs and would be exempt from numbering if it were subject to the Federal law.
G. Watercraft while competing in any race approved by the Department under the provisions of Section 5‑15 of this Act or if the watercraft is designed and intended solely for racing while engaged in navigation that is incidental to preparation of the watercraft for the race. Preparation of the watercraft for the race may be accomplished only after obtaining the written authorization of the Department.
H. Non‑powered, owned and operated on water completely impounded on land belonging to the owner of the watercraft. This Section does not apply to water controlled by a club or association.
I. A canoe or kayak which is owned by an organization which is organized and conducted on a not‑for‑profit basis with no personal profit inuring to anyone as a result of the operation.
(Source: P.A. 88‑524.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
FishinMatt said:
toothdoc said:
So now the battery box needs to be mounted? How the heck are we supposed to do that on Jack's rentals at Deep? :?
I was wondering the same thing. You would think that Jack would have to be in compliance. Maybe he can glue some strips in the back to keep the box flush against the back transom. I don't know how the DNR would expect every single renter bringing a TM to have some kind of temporary mounting solution. Damn, and I was all proud of the fact I remembered to buy an extra whistle for the rentals this year :roll: Pretty soon we will have to be bonded just to leave the dock.
(625 ILCS 45/7‑8) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 317‑8)
Sec. 7‑8. Equipment. Neither the owner of a boat livery, nor his agent or employee shall permit any watercraft to depart from his premises unless it has been provided, either by owner or renter, with the equipment required pursuant to Article IV of this Act and any rules and regulations made pursuant thereto.
(Source: P.A. 87‑198.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.