Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to Beck at 5:30A.M. I dunno why I even wasted my time out there, especially after reading Augy's report... Shame on me.

So I stopped at a local pond on the way out and got skunked, and stopped off at one last local pond at about 9:30 and caught 3 small to decent sized bass late in the morning. I had been throwing a Senko all morning with NO bites. Switch to a red shad colored plastic worm, rigged it Texas style with a small weight and dragged it along the bottom and slowly lifted the rod, felt like pan fish hitting it, so I cut about a 1/4 inch off of it and repeated. That was when I pulled out 3 bass from about 9:30-10:30 AM. Fish seem extremly sluggish. I should have thrown the worm earlier in the morning. I'm still not entirely sold on these Senkos.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Give the senkos some time. For me they seem to work better in slightly deeper water as it gives the bait time to wiggle on its way down to the bottom. Most of the fish I have caught, including the 22-incher in my avatar, have been caught on senkos. Many of the fish guys catch up on Deep Lake as well have been on senkos. Summer is the senko time of year so don't give up on them just yet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ClancyWiggum said:
Give the senkos some time. For me they seem to work better in slightly deeper water as it gives the bait time to wiggle on its way down to the bottom. Most of the fish I have caught, including the 22-incher in my avatar, have been caught on senkos. Many of the fish guys catch up on Deep Lake as well have been on senkos. Summer is the senko time of year so don't give up on them just yet.
Does your line get kinked when you use the Senko's for awhile? The action of them causes my line to get all spun up and kinked. No, I haven't given up on them just yet. It just seems like everytime I go out and use them I catch fish on something else.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If your line keeps twisting up on itself you may want to try tying on a barrel swivel about 24" or so above the hook. This will help to prevent the line from twisting if the senko starts to twist. The only problem with this is that you probably won't be able to reel in the swivel past the last eye on the rod, but it should help prevent the line twist you are experiencing. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Pk said:
ClancyWiggum said:
Does your line get kinked when you use the Senko's for awhile? The action of them causes my line to get all spun up and kinked. No, I haven't given up on them just yet. It just seems like everytime I go out and use them I catch fish on something else.
the twisting occurs when you rig the senko crooked. it spins when you retrieve. just make sure the senko is on straight as an arrow and you won't have as many problems.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Augy said:
Pk said:
ClancyWiggum said:
the twisting occurs when you rig the senko crooked. it spins when you retrieve. just make sure the senko is on straight as an arrow and you won't have as many problems.
Hmmm that's pretty brilliant.:wink: I'm an idiot and didn't even think of this. It looks really good when you rig it a little crooked, but I've never tried them just straight. Maybe that's part of my problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Rigging it whacky style is also another way to fish the senkos. It trips me out everytime I see the senko flutter to the bottom. It really gives off a nice motion. But my favorite feature is the weight of the senko - you can cast it without any weight. That's just awesome.

I've caught enough on the Senko to be true believer. I've been dying to try it out on saltwater bass, like the Calico Bass they get on the west coast.

Good luck and hope you land a nice hawg with it.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Drove by Beck this evening and as I looked out onto the lake I didn`t see any evidence of a weed kill the weeds were there :?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.