Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temps about 70, overcast, NW winds 5mph. Fished from 6:30pm-7:30pm.

Short outing and not much to report. Picked up one small largemouth bass and one rock bass on a 3" Slug-Go. First rock bass ever at Beck.

Also threw a Rapala Husky Jerk but no hits.

Water was much "muddier" than this time last year. Don't know why. Several other people were out but most were bobber fishing with a few bluegill and small bass reported.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I was out there yesterday morning for about an hour. After getting a written warning from the Cook County Forest Preserve officer for not having a front license plate on my car (I haven't had one on my cars in over 14 years!), I fished a chatterbait. I had one hit on the southeast side of the lake on about my third cast. I didn't even realize that it was a fish at first and thought I just snagged the bottom. When I started pulling on the line the drag went out and I finally realized that I had a fish on. Before getting it to shore I lost it though. I was a big fish, but since I couldn't see it due to the muddy water I have no idea how big it was. My guess is that it was a large bass.

I did talk to an older man there that said he has been fishing Beck ever since it opened in 1962! He said that he has caught a number of big fish out of there over the years.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I've lost a few fish from mistaking them for snags myself and not setting the hook. Once you realize you have fish on, the hook seems firmly set from the amount of pull from the fish but from my experience with the chatter, it's really not set. It's gonna take me some getting used to.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Augy, I lost another bass later on the same bait and that time I did set the hook. In my opinion, the hooks on the Chatterbaits that I got a Dick's suck. I caught another bass last week on one of the Chatterbaits that I got directly from Rad Lures and had no problem. I have a feeling that the ones that Dick's had were an inferior quality. Just my observation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts