Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temps about 80; sun with mixed clouds; light SE winds; fished from 6:15pm - 7:45pm.

Looked like a great evening for fishing but got the skunk. Worked most of the entire north shoreline with a variety of baits. Both bass and bluegill are spawning and beds can be seen throughout the shoreline. There were several bass jumping high in the air, but were interested in nothing I threw at 'em.

On the way out saw a guy catch a nice 18" 3.25lb largemouth bass right in front of the parking lot with a Senko. Other anglers reported nothing.

And as much as I can't stand the geese there, the baby geese are just TOO cute.

·
Registered
953 Posts
You may have got the big ol' skunk, but it was still great to get out, right? Even if I don't catch any fish I still love the chase and being outdoors. Good to hear you got some time out there. I am sure the fish will come around. I plan of heading out to Beck on Sunday morning so hopefully the fish are still hungry by then. :roll:

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh it was awesome being out there today! Fishing isn't always about catching great fish, but rather the interaction with the outdoors. And THAT is why I LOVE going to these places in the evenings during the week - gives me a chance to see a beautiful sunset, have a shot at some fish, and unwind from the daily grind.

Even when I don't catch fish, I ALWAYS remember each and every outing for it's nuances. Like the snake that slithered right by my foot this evening, the bass that jumped 2 feet out of the water at the exact moment I was looking at that spot, and even the dude who caught the 18" bass - all thrilling to me.

Catching the fish is always the bonus to me, it's the experience I thrive on.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I know what you mean. When I was at the Buffalo Creek Reservoir this evening I saw a beaver swim up to the shore about 100 feet from me, it climbed out of the water, cut down a small sapling pretty quickly, and took it back into the water and around the corner. It was probably the greatest part of my entire evening.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Its good to see indeed. By the way, monday and tuesday when I was there, they couldnt resist any thing green, light green, perch color combo x-rap, perch color combo spinner with light green tail. All green and orange stuff! I usually have the luck with black, but not this week.

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I can't stand those geese at Beck either! They are everywhere and never shut the hell up!

I did talk to someone at the CCFPD about the geese there and he said they are all there naturally. My question is... why do so many have tags on their legs?

And I also wonder if the extreme goose population at Beck effects the fish somehow.

With all the shore fishing pressure and the thousands of geese, no wonder the fishing is so hit or miss!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The geese are a nuisance. They are not here naturally. I remember never seeing a goose around this area when I was a youngster. It has only been in the last 20 years or so that they have come in. The reason (according to my fish and game buddy) is that we have built so many retention ponds which are required to control flooding due to over development of the land. The geese see the abundance of water as they migrate and they just put in when they should be continuing on south. A couple of yeas ago the high bacteria level at Beck and Arlington reported was caused by goose poop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.