Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With news that tomorrow might top 50 degrees, I've been thinking about heading out to Beck Lake for a bit. Does anyone know if Beck is still covered with ice? How about you, Augy? Been out there recently? The alternative would be the discharge at Busse, but I'd like to avoid using live bait if possible (I know it'll probably be hard catching anything without livebait during the winter). There's only so much satisfaction that I can get out of catching bass on the PC game In-Fisherman Freshwater Trophies ... :)

G

·
I drove into the parking lot at Beck last Saturday and the Ice was pretty rotten. I wouldn't go out until there has been several days of below zero temps to refreeze the rotten ice again. Until then, Busse discharge.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, toothdoc. Actually, I was not thinking about ice fishing but just regular fishing (casting from the shoreline). Since we've had a few consecutive days of above freezing weather, I was hoping that Beck wouldn't be covered with much ice, if any.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
It might be worth a shot fan. I'll drive by tomorrow morning and take a peek and get back to ya. Jason's been fishing the northshore channel. It may be something to check out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Augy. Don't worry about checking on Beck tomorrow if you're busy.

It's a coincidence that you mention the north channel because I made my first trip there earlier today. I caught a small (around 6-8 in.) bass on a rooster tail spinner under the Howard St. bridge and and then nothing south of the Foster Ave. bridge. I didn't like the smell of the river too much, and it was cold, so I decided to call it quits after about 1-1.5 hour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts