Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished from 6:25pm - 8pm; calm winds; mostly sunny; temps in the low 70's.

Got 2 largemouth bass under 10" all the way in the north end of the lake on standard rigged 3" Senko's. Also got a nice warmouth. Worked around the west shoreline and picked up a nice 12" largemouth bass with a wacky rigged Senko by hovering it right off the drop-off. Then got a smallie! It was only 8.5", but at least it was a confirmed smallmouth bass from Belleau!

8.5" smallmouth bass

12" largemouth bass

·
Registered
327 Posts
I love it! Even though it was small, consider it an accomplishment anytime you catch a smallie out of Belleau or Axehead. I really need to fish Belleau more with it being around the corner from my house. Always thought that lake screamed smallie habitat, good to see they're actually surviving. Now, just imagine if the DNR actually patrolled the lake other than in trout season and we could count on size regulations being enforced and the fishery continuing to develop. With as slow as Smallies grow, might make sense for the species to be catch & release only at the CCFP lakes... just a thought.
Nice report & fish Jay! Just wondering, is there any new signage present with regards to SM bass, or just the 20 year old, faded, brown signs that all "bass" must be 12". Good fishing.

Alex

·
Registered
218 Posts
In regards to signage and/or enforcment, I had a conversation with one of the bucket brigade denizens at Axehead the other day.

He said,"Do you know what of fish this is?"

I said, "Largemouth Bass. You know they don't taste very good, you ought to just throw it back(it was under 14", besides)."

He said, "I eat what I catch, man"

Let's hope he doesn't catch the crabs.

The bucket brigade they're rich.

Last week I had to tell one of them they had a fish on their line. And the guy told me it was just a snag. It was a blue gill. He put it in his bucket.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.

Belleau has indeed been stocked with smallmouth bass. Here's the numbers:
2000 - 1,250
2001 - 1,275
2002 - 1,750
2003 - 1,800
2004 - 1,250
2005 - 1,250
2006 - 1,250

All smallmouth bass stocked were between "fingerling" and 2"-3".

There are some older signs posted, but all they say is that keeper largemouth bass must be 14".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.