Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, four of us hit Belleau today for a Fly Casting / Fly Fishing Clinic and had it to ourselves all morning long. I know it gets a bad rap for not holding a bunch of fish outside the slimer frenzy twice yearly.
Walked from the lot, around the north shore, and back via the south shoreline. Found TONS of fatty gills and small bass all ove the far end of the lake, and anywhere there was an overhanging tree. The vast majority of GIlls were literally pushing the pound mark, these were chunks! The bass that were mixed in with the gills averages 8-12" but spotted a couple 16"+. Water was quite clear and warm, making for difficult fishing. We did manage a few good size gills on top and a few on smaller nymphs. Fish were holding just under the surface, and about 2-3ft down off the rock ledge in any undercut in the rocks.
The only real weeds were the blobs of the gooey junk floating around, other than that, its clear and weed free. Dragged a few bigger flies deep deep along the deep sections with not so much as a bump. Its obvious there is very little predation judging by the sheer size of the gills, hopefully a few trees will find their way into the water to create some cover.
I wonder if the DOW has any plans to sink something to bolster the fishing?

Anyhow, the lake is ok, but would be far better from a boat, and could sure use some structure!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THats what i've read, but i'll be damned if i could raise anything but midget bass and Gills. Walking the banks reveals a featureless and structureless lake, so its a gamble figuring where to fish by sight. The maps only tell so much. I suppose those so inclined to put in the time will find the larger fish, smallies, and any other surprises, but surely not if you're only out for a day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.