Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it all started saturday...5-10

I started fishing the harbors around the city (best body of water in walking distance) on sat...didnt wet too many lines on sat...more of just exploring>!

I started at Montrose Harbor walked the whole thing 2 times, inside harbor around the horeshoe thingy and back. not alot of activity... that i could see. but alot of anglers out...more than the past few weeks when i would cruise by.... some going for Cohos, most looked to be after perch. saw nothing caught.

so i moved on walking down the lake front. casting my chatter trick shad along the way....nothing.

I made my way to belmont Harbor.

First time for me walking from harbor to harbor like that and it was alot shorter than i thought.

searched the crap out of Belmont Harbor...spinner baits, cranks baits, tubes, rattle traps,chatterbaits.... threw just about everything, everywhere....nothing, not even a follow.

I had to get to my Mom's B day dinner (even tho im sure she'd understand)...so i had to take the skunk :(

Learned a lot about the harbors this day, and marked a gang of spots to come back and try again when the time is right.

Sunday...after the rain stop pouring and managed to slow down to a drizzle, i was off stright to Belmont....but with little hope...the wind was howling, and i knew finding a spot to cast safely would be tough.

found a little cove( a little sheltered from the wind) and threw jig n pigs, and Berkly saber tail grubs. nothing for a long time!....at least 4 hours with out so much as a tug.

then it happened just when i was about to call it quits for the day....BAM... jig n pig gets slammed...first thought was this cannot be a bass....then going airborn from the water is a NICE smallie....and just like that slack line. :(

Got the heart going again... and threw the saber tail grub to the same spot. and WHACK....hook up again, fish jumps and slack line... :( ...this fish was no where near the size of the first one.... and now i am way down on myself for missing these fish, talking to myself out loud, playing it over again in my head....oh well thats why it fishing and not catching... hehe ( how many time you hear that line)...i pack it up and walk home.

After work on Monday, i get home as fast as i possibly can....$%$^% cubs fans everywhere... ( but hey go Cubbies!) grab my gear and walked faster than i have moved in a long time back to Belmont...it is 740 pm by the time i make it there and sun is for the most part already set....but i was there and i was gonna fish!

fished the spot where i hooked up the previous day...nothing.

i start walkin back. then i remember a spot where on sat i saw some bass sitting on some beds( they didnt want tubes or anyother plastics i threw at them on sat) thought i give it a try. it was now dark...

I used some rolled up pieces of painters tape i had in my pocket, and marked out on the wall where the beds were.... and moved about 30 yards away.

and started fishin...making sure i really worked the areas right out from the tape.

at 850 pm, i landed this girl... on a BPS finesse worm, fished weightless, in a natural color.

she went airborn 4 times!!!!!but this time i was ready, fish goes up, rod tip goes down, by far my best fight of the year even tho she was not that big.

almost fell in the harbor trying to lip her.

:?

I was worried i played the fish too much...and caused to much stress that she would abandon her bed.
went back this morning @ 7 am....still sitting on it right where i got her! :D

very fun...especially after a fishless weekend!

JayPee The HHF!

·
Registered
44 Posts
nice smallie bro, I saw you fishing a tourney one day at the chi river, I have to hit the lake, I've always been skepticle there though, have no reason not to go now that you've done your research there. Nice report, I talked to a buddy bricklayer at work that goes to lave erie every chance he can for mr. walleye and told me that once a fish leaves a crib another will take over, so keep up the good work. Maybe I'll meet you there one day after work, IM the puertorican . happy fishing everyone

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's a late night smallmouth right there! Way to keep at it. Nice fish!

I got out to that same spot last night. I tried to beat the storms, but there was already debris/garbage all pushed into that corner of the harbor. It made the fishing pretty tough. Came away with nothing.

- Jon

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the replies guys! :D

I tried to get more involved in the writing part of the post. (Plus it killed 1 hour at work) hope you guys liked it...if not i keep em short from now on.

i tried to get out again this morning....but body was hurtin and just said no way! :D all that walkin has got to legs they are tender today!

Good fishin!

JayPee the HHF!

·
Super Moderator
6,237 Posts
jaypee the hhf said:
thanks for the replies guys! :D

I tried to get more involved in the writing part of the post. (Plus it killed 1 hour at work) hope you guys liked it...if not i keep em short from now on.

i tried to get out again this morning....but body was hurtin and just said no way! :D all that walkin has got to legs they are tender today!

Good fishin!

JayPee the HHF!
I really liked the story. You could of just posted a pic of the bass with a few words and left it at that. That story made the entire post :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.