Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back from the annual may trip to northern wisc. An interesting time weather-wise. Got there sunday evening, and had hot, sunny weather until tuesday afternoon when the temps dropped 50+ degrees overnight, recovered after two days, and dropped again saturday night into sunday. This made fishing a drag all around.

But, first several days were good and caught a handful of northerns in the 34-36" range all on daredevils spoons trolling in 7-9'. Thought this would be a good start to a great trip, but as the weather turns so did the fishing. Of course I was alone with no camera for my great day of fishing! Didn't even target bass but several others at the resort did, but weren't having much luck beyond dinks.

Did catch a bowfin and a tiger muskie (or just a very yound muskie)

On the upside I did find some sweet spots that should produce next trip up.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Somehow I've caught five muskies now in my three years of fishing, this one by far the smallest. But even the small ones fight like they're giants. They are a lot of fun.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Benoit lake is near Spooner and about 300 acres. Not the best fishing up there, but a good and consistent (usually) lake. It's near Mid and Big McKenzie which are both real good pike and musky lakes. The place we stayed is new to us, Rainbow Bay Resort (Spooner). Real good prices, our week (8 nights) was a little under $300! Off season. They have boats and motors for rental. There are also much bigger Delevan type lakes up there (Owen, Chippewa flowage, etc.) but the prices go way up and they always have a bunch of fishing pressure. If you can get up north for consistent pike of decent size for not a lot of $$$ I would recommend it.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Great report topwater. I believe the ski is a pure. How did that bowfin fight. The few I have caught have been great fights. Got the scar on one finger to prove it :D What did you get it on????

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the bowfin on a sucker dropped on the deep side of a weed bed. Was actually dragging the sucker while casting for pike. It was a fluke that happened near the end of the trip. He did dive for the bottom and for a while I thought I had a good pike on, but as soon as I saw him out about ten feet it dawned on me what he was. They are fun and I hope to get back up in august, there is another lake with a bowfin hole that is a sure thing, just drop a sucker, wait about 30 seconds and you got one on.

When I described the musky to the resort owner he was sure, without the photo, that it was just a young ski. I haven't seen enough to really know. It was kinda funny to see how that little guy gave it his all for about fifteen seconds!

Upside to the trip, despite the lack of a lot of quality fish, I am getting on pike much more consistently with confidence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.