Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My issuses are with baitcasters . Braid to me was made for spinning reels . My knots give me problems at times on casting rods with smaller guides. I got se Alberto knot with best success so far but it eventually breaks down. I may just go straight braid next season or copilymer on baitcasters.

· Registered
709 Posts
My issuses are with baitcasters . Braid to me was made for spinning reels . My knots give me problems at times on casting rods with smaller guides. I got se Alberto knot with best success so far but it eventually breaks down. I may just go straight braid next season or copilymer on baitcasters.
A. Micro-guides, if that's what you have, and knots don't mesh real well.
B. May be try a different line? My first fluoro was Vanish and it kept breaking at the knot after a few casts. I replaced it with Sunline and haven't had an issue, yet.

· Registered
1,844 Posts
For line-to-line connections without hardware I use the Seaguar knot exclusively. I learned the knot while out west fishing the Pacific for pelagics. Back then it was the gold standard knot for attaching fluoro or co-polymer top shot leaders to standard braid. I've also heard it called the Lefty Kreh knot, he seems to be credited in some circles with inventing it. If you know who Lefty Kreh is, you'll understand how good the knot must be. Below is a video of how the knot is tied. Once you have made a few dozen of these knots it becomes second nature and can be completed in less than 10 seconds without even trying hard. My 10 year old son learned how to tie this knot this summer and can do it in 5 seconds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts