Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best live bait for bass at like axehead or any of the forest preserve lakes?
And what would be the best setup.

Sorry for asking so many stupid questions but i got to get on some fish soon!!!!!!! :oops: :cry: :x

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Artificials will outfish live bait 10 to 1. :wink:

Cover more water and can immitate a live bait fish if presented correctly.

Wats up man, I thought your signature says Never give up!? Cause once you do that's the moment the fish will start biting????? :?

From my experience, we are about 2 weeks behind compared to last year. Try some texas rigs.

If you do use live bait, Go with Large Roaches on a fixed float. I put my neice on some bass that way. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
78 Posts
i got alot of luck on the senko in the spring time but not as much anymoore......i usally get goldfish and put the on a big hook with a bobber hookum threw there lip or behind the dorsal fine on there back.usally i can get a number of bass with the gold fish.....it hasent failed yet but the goldfish dont live for long in a bucket

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Theres nothing to a senko. Throw it in and let it do the work, the fish are not cooperating this year though. I chummed my backyard pond with some corn today in case I get desperate and fish for a carp LOL. -try a shadalicious swimbait with the weighted hook. 8)

I fished for hours at bass lake today with no action. On the way out I stopped at the last casting spot and thew a few more. I casted over a branch. And then when I brought the swimbait over the branch and it landed in the water, a huge wake went after my lure at laser speed. I got her after a few jumps and it was a pot belly pig. A 15 incher but the belly was huge. I went to Hidden lake after that and got ate up by mosquitos no bites though. Thats why they call it fishing and not catching :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vploeg said:
i got alot of luck on the senko in the spring time but not as much anymoore......i usally get goldfish and put the on a big hook with a bobber hookum threw there lip or behind the dorsal fine on there back.usally i can get a number of bass with the gold fish.....it hasent failed yet but the goldfish dont live for long in a bucket
Ive heard some people useing goldfish. Have you used them at lake opeka?

·
Registered
78 Posts
i dont bring the goldfish to big lakes because its an hour drive from my house.....but in the ponds around here i caught a 6 pound largemouth with the goldfish
i tried to upload the pics but it says extension bmp is not allowed or sumthin?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I dont think its a good idea introducing goldfish to local lakes, not that there isnt already,but some can carry disease and wipeout a lake.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I hope u refrain from using goldfish,never heard of nightcrawlers being bad though, I could be wrong since I dont use live bait.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
There was a post a month or 2 back on a pond getting ruined due to all the gold fish in it. I would suggest you not to use them. You might want to call the DNR hotline and see if it is legal to even use them. Some lakes will have restrictions on such things. Especially goldfish.

Dupage County is pretty strict on things like that...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
FISHING4LIFE said:
Ive heard some people useing goldfish. Have you used them at lake opeka?
whoa whoa whoa!!!

its very illegal to do that! don't get crazy ideas man. stick with you senkos you'll get some bass! hang in there. things have been tough lately but if you work hard and stick to learning, you will be rewarded! and if you are really really feeling the slump, just put a roach under a bobber.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
vploeg said:
yea....i used guppies at a small pond 3 weeks ago and let the rest go i dident use....now all i see are little baby guppies by the shore line everywere.....so i guess i shouldent usem anymoore
You never wanna release your bait in the water. But it's all good as long as it wasn't one of my favorite lakes! :mrgreen: But the bass would eat them right up! :p

·
Registered
810 Posts
Even though artificials do outfish nightcrawlers and other live bait. The World Record bass was caught on a nightcrawler if I'm correct? i could be wrong though. I dont use nightcrawlers anymore, i used them a lot when i first started fishing. Never caught a bass off a nightcrawler.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.