Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best bait, technique, and spot to fish for bass right now? I want to get into plastics and using texas rigs and shaky heads. Is it the right time to use plastics?

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Rat-l-traps in the spring in stained water(rain and runoff) is a good bet :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Plastics are good, And like matt said also throw a variety of cranks. Cray fish are spawning in some waters already so crayfish imitating plastics are producing !

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Throw a Bill Lewis Blue/Bleeding bait rattle trap... You will catch bass on this lure all spring... Smaller (not the tiny one) works best, especially after the water reaches 50... After it warms up a little bit, throw a drop shot... The hawg in the picture to the left will vouch for the drop shot's success... - BPM

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
This is a great topic.

As we are finally getting some open water, we are all itchin' to catch some fish. The water is still very cold and the fish will usually want a meal that is worth the effort. That's why Rat-L-Traps and crank baits are so successful this time of year. Plastics, jigs, and spinners can also catch fish. But with the plastics, patience and location will be the key.

I just stocked up on a variety of Rat-L-Traps and similar baits. It can be a great time of year to land a lunker. Not the really the time of year to bag a "bunch" of fish during an outing, but certainly the time to work and be rewarded with "quality" fish.

·
Super Moderator
6,254 Posts
Also, don't forget the Mann's Baby -1. Coyote turned me on to this lure from some great reports last year. They are perfect for fishing shallow ponds that are weed chocked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.