Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me start by saying I HATE losing fish. Especially when it comes down to a poorly tied knot. So, this all begins as my brother and I are out fishing some time back. Look at my avatar picture. I caught that 40lb flathead on 8lb Berkely Fireline Crystal. I used the Polymer knot. And totally believed in that knot until now. Now, as I am catching all those big fish, with no problems, my brother (using 8lb Trilene mono) is catching smaller fish and his line is breaking at knot almost every time. Drag is set right. So, I teach him the knot I use. Still breaks with no effort.

Now I think his bad karma is rubbing off on me. Went fishing today out at LaSalle lake. Between brother and I, we must of lost 20 nice fish due to line breaking at knot. We were fishing for catfish. I would slip on a smaller bell sinker, roughly a foot and a half up the line. Then tie a polymer knot. Then use same knot for hook and end of line. Exact same set up as I used to reel in that big flathead. All of a sudden now, my line keeps breaking at the knot. Most of time, I will reel back in just the bell sinker with absolutely no line after sinker. Other times it would break at hook and I would just get sinker and line up to the hook. Most of the time, I would lose it all.

Its not like we were catching 50 pound fish. I was sitting there holding my pole. Start to feel some light taps/bites. As fish took off with bait, line would break even before I had a chance to set hook. After a few times of this, I said to hell with the Polymer knot and started to tie the Trilene knot for sinker and hook. Little harder but was thinking maybe it was the Polymer knot that was at fault. Nope, Trilene knot broke just as easy. And tried that knot multiple times with same results.

Whats going on here. Brother and I have never had this happen before ever. My drag is set to the point of when I set hook, even on a 2 or 3 pound fish, about a foot of drag spins out. Any tighter, and its instant breaking. Same thing with brothers knots. What are we doing wrong here?

Anybody have a tried and tested knot they wouldn't mind telling me about? Someday when I hook into that trophy, I will be breaking pole in half over my knee...lol

Any advise or info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use 8lb Berkely Fireline Crystal. Brother uses 8lb Trilene monofilament. The Berkely Fireline is like a braided line. Love the sensitivity with not much stretch to it. Its not the line breaking though. Its breaking at the knots.

·
Registered
401 Posts
possibility of the location you were fishing having rocks or something sharp down in the water that you kept breaking off on? Not sure, maybe it's a certain step in tying the knot that you're screwing up? When was the last time you changed your line on the reels? Could be bad line... could be a million things over again. Hard to pinpoint exactly what it is, but considering you tried multiple knots I would suggest new line and possibly some structure under water that you keep breaking off on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pezdek1 said:
possibility of the location you were fishing having rocks or something sharp down in the water that you kept breaking off on? Not sure, maybe it's a certain step in tying the knot that you're screwing up? When was the last time you changed your line on the reels? Could be bad line... could be a million things over again. Hard to pinpoint exactly what it is, but considering you tried multiple knots I would suggest new line and possibly some structure under water that you keep breaking off on.
I spooled up at beginning of year with the Berkely. Maybe a month old. LaSalle lake is a cooling lake for the Exelon Power plant. We were fishing a deep hole out in the middle. Absolutely no structure. Clay bottom with rip-rap shore...

Using standard bell sinker and Eagle Claw #2 hooks. I'm about ready to go get some 50lb test crap...lol Also, how can one screw up the Polymer knot? So basic, I could do it blind folded...

·
Registered
401 Posts
check the steps online for tying the polymer knot, perhaps you're missing one little step and it's creating a weak point in the line. Are you wetting the line before you pull it tight? Possibility if you're not wetting the line (spit, water, whatever) that you're fraying the line at the knot and creating that weak spot. There's too much friction there when pulling the knots tight with mono and fluoro to not wet it. As for the polymer it's definitely a little more slick and slippery than the other lines, but you definitely need to wet it still. Easiest thing, soon as you're done with the knot right before you slide it all up and tight into place get some spit gathered up in your mouth and basically soak the entire area where the line will create friction on itself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, I always wet the line with a big o goober. Just learned the Polymer knot this year. Came in a little pamphlet inside the Fireline box. Would always do that with the Trilene knot as well.

Doesn't break easy every time. Sometimes, when snagged fishing in river, I have to wrap a stick around line 3 or 4 times just to get it to break. Is there any other knots worth trying?

·
Registered
597 Posts
i have had in my life 3 times where a fish was on and the knot came untied. They were all with a polymer knot. I do suck at tying it.

I use the improve clinch knot

I also had a fish on lake delavan that staighted my hook out.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I typically use the San Diego knot when I'm out salt water fishing for large tuna. See link below:

http://shoreangling4u.tripod.com/knotguide/id30.html

Also, when you tie a palomar knot, make sure you wet your line so that you reduce friction as you are tightening down on the knot.

It may be just me, but my Fireline broke more than a few times. I've gone back to Power Pro.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I use the palomar and haven't ever had it break on me where I didn't deserve it. Also, make sure you are retying often. At the start of every outing and after a stressful fight with a big fish.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I use a double improved clinch knot and the "power" knot...neither have ever failed.

Power pro is the best braid in my opinion.

Oh and on their site they advise you use the palomar knot...based on what I've seen and read countless times over I would NOT recommend it.
Obviously a few guys swear by it though.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You ever try a double wrap...with braid, especially the smaller braids 10 and lower...it helps form a base for the knot to tighten on, and will help prevent slips.

I mean like braid threw hook eye, loop around threw hook eye again...maybe even a third time...then tie knot.

It might be your problem, it could jsut be a bad batch of line, it happens. Sorry about your lost fish dude...that would suck if it kept happening over and over.

JayPee

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been using spider wire brand for a while now, but I'm not sure if I want to stick with it.
I was thinking about using a braid, but I never have before.

I basically fish for bass and once in a while cats. Any opinions on brands, or types of line to choose would be appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ive had that same damn problem before and i was tying the improved clinch and switched to the polymer knot and was still having problems with it breaking off....So i decided to get new line i went with power pro absollutely great stuff..fireline has great feel to it and what not but its abrasion resistence sucks ass you seriously need to cut like 5' at a time because if you look close you can tell its all freyed.

Also just a second thought how do you know that some type of toothy fish isnt taking the bait and bitting through? Just a thought.

I have the power pro and the suffix briad they both work great IMHO i think the suffix has better sensitivity but the power pro has alot of back bone to it. With alot of feel too. Hope this helps i think ive been through every type of braid there is and these are the two by far that rank #1&2

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.