Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where in the hell are the damn blue gills? I don't want to break the law, but jeeze! i could get 10,000 gills in a local pond in 5 min. but on the river.... nothing! i usually just use mini twister tail grubs. Do i need live bait or something? Not even a bite in a hour. i was near the N. Aurora damn.. i tried slackwater in various places around the island, it tried near the bridge, and right under the dam... NOTHING :evil:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've never had much luck for gills or crappie in the rivers. Maybe shoot swimmin for shore a pm, and ask where his neighbors kids are catching them- someplace around St. Charles I think.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm assuming you want to catch gills out of the river so you can then go catch the bigger things that eat them. Otherwise, why bother. Go to a pond.

Slack water should be almost dead calm. Next time your at NA, try the east channel and go about half way down from the bridge to the end of the island. Fish from there down.

Standard gill setup, little aberdeen hook, small split shot and a bobber. Load the hook full of maggots. If all your doing is fishing for bait, this might also get you creek chubs, shiners and green sunfish. All work equally as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I get a chance, I'll ask the neighbors, but the previous post hit it on the head. Use worms, too, and fish a couple of feet deep in the best cover you can find. Slack water, downed trees, brush. Bluegill in the river are much harder than ponds, so I understand your desire to go there. I can't, and won't advise you to go against what the law says, so if you end up at the pond, play dumb for the game warden if you
see himand maybe just don't tell me. :) And, as was stated before, for flatheads, you can use live carp, bluegills, sunfish, bass, and bullheads. I like the bluegills, personally, and throw everything else back, but they'll all do the trick. Incidentally, you could also go and buy goldfish or leeches if you continue to struggle. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.