Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out to a local forest preserve to brush up on my soft plastic fishing before the WI opener. My boat was supposed to be out of the repair shop today, but the owner is sounding more and more like a used car saleman everytime I talk to him. The parts our on order, we ran into an unexpected problem, ect, :roll: With that in mind, I set off to blow off some steam. I started off throwing the standard 4'' and 5'' senkos with no luck. I lightened up to a 3'' Black w/ chartruse tail Yum Dinger which did the trick. I went 3 for 4 on bass, losing a nice one at the bank. Also made a nice bonus crappie famous. I rigged the Dinger wacky style w/ no weight. All the fish were caught deadsticking the bait around rock and timber in about 10 feet of water.

Numero Uno

Shortly Thereafter

One more time

Bonus Round

·
Registered
235 Posts
That sucks about your boat, Matt, but at least you hooked into some healthy looking fish :) I've never heard of wacky rigging grubs (just worms); I'll remember to give that a try next time.

Btw, just to make sure, when you say deadsticking, do you mean letting the bait just sit still until the fish hits it?

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BravesFan said:
That sucks about your boat, Matt, but at least you hooked into some healthy looking fish :) I've never heard of wacky rigging grubs (just worms); I'll remember to give that a try next time.

Btw, just to make sure, when you say deadsticking, do you mean letting the bait just sit still until the fish hits it?
The Yum Dinger is not a grub. It looks a little bit like a ringworm. It has a very small profile and on a small hook the drop is super slow. That is correct about the deadsticking. All 4 hits were at the end of the cast, just letting the bait free-fall to the bottom. I tried slowly crawling the baits and twitching but nothing else worked. I would just make my cast, leave the bail open, and let the line sink naturally. A few hits were just ticks, and a couple actually started taking line and running with the bait. I use the same technique with leeches also. Just make sure you are casting to bass holding areas and watching your line closely. It is one of my artificial methods that lets me smoke and fish at the same time :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Don't them cigs taste great while fishing. Especially with coffee early in the morning while watching the sun come up. Damn, I'm a hopeless romatic. I like long walks along the beach, oops, wrong site. sorry!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Matt, what dinger colors do you like? I was going to pick up some but have no experience with Yum products. You like the chartreuse tails?

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Augy, I picked up one pack of Yum Dingers as an afterthought awhile back. The 3'' size are much skinnier then the standard senkos and are even more of a finesse bait. The color I bought is black with a chartruse tip. I was pleasantly suprised with the results. Last year I was having luck at this exact same spot with senkos but they did not want anything to do with them this time out. I would recommend at least picking a pack or 2 up if you like soft plastic fishing. It pays to be versatile :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts