Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of bringing two rods with me this weekend...1 for casting and 1 for bobber fishing. I have some spawn left from last year, but was wondering how to set up a rod for fishing with a bobber. I've heard light line is better, but I don't want to go too light. What type of rod/line is best and what is the ideal depth to try right now? Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Good idea, Phil. You can actually try several bobber techniques - off the bottom, suspended under a bobber, etc. You will probably want to go with lighter line, but don't go too light. You might want to try leaving the bail open (make sure the rig is secure!) so the fish is more likely to take it.

I'm gonna stock up on glow-spoons, etc., so i'll be heading down to the lakefront soon!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Phil, make sure that you have a good rod holder. With salmon, I've heard of people losing their rods.

·
Super Moderator
6,093 Posts
Keep the bail open!!!! Trust me, even in a rod holder, that baby and whatever is holding it will be gone before you can even blink. You can use a variety of baits, but fresh spawn seems to be the standard this time of year. Just make sure you are fishing in a somewhat remote spot or your line will get crossed and snagged and you will be constantly pissed off. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot of etiquette these days on the lakefront.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts