Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was able to get out today and do little fishing at the Bode Lake Forest Preserve, and as always I hoping for the best but expecting the skunk which is the usual at Bode. After working the west bank of the first pond with a small rebel crawfish crank without as much as a bite, I decided to try a little bit of a different presentation. I added a waxworm to the crank on the hook by the claws, and added a large split shot about 3ft from the crank to make it dive deeper and have a more natural action. I didn't really think the presentation would work but I gave it a try....On my first cast I landed a nice 14" largemouth, my first fish of the year, and my first decent largemouth ever at Bode!! Then, on my very first cast after landing the first fish, I casted in the same spot and landed an even bigger bass which I estimated to be at least 18" and at least 3 lb!!! After that I decided to give the back lake a try for about 40 minutes, but went home after not even managing a bite. It was definitely a great day to get out and do some fishing!

PS- All fish were immediately caught and released.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Now that is interesting! I live across the street form Bode... Now you have my attention! 8)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks for the report! It's good to know that there are actually fish in those two ponds. I think I've seen 1 LMB come out of there the 10 years I've lived out in the burbs.

Congrats on the bass!

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Well now we know there are at least 2 bass in that pond. Thanks for the report...I used to live in Hoffman Estates and found rather quickly that those ponds are tough. I've heard the one in back is better since it is harder to access. I've heard pike stories too but never confirmed it personally.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was also really surprised to catch anything there :shock: I think I'm going to give the back lake a try later on today or tomorrow. Does anyone know how to get around to the creeks to get to the back part of the second lake? I bet the back part is where all the pike are....

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
It's-O-Fish-Al said:
I was also really surprised to catch anything there :shock: I think I'm going to give the back lake a try later on today or tomorrow. Does anyone know how to get around to the creeks to get to the back part of the second lake? I bet the back part is where all the pike are....
Go downstream of where the creek exits the lake and unless it's running real high, you can jump the creek and head further north on the north lake.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I lived by that lake for four years, and never saw anything good come out of it. Great job out there! I live only a few miles away now so I will have to give it another shot. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.