Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well over Xmas break i want to go fishing maybe even ice fish. Since its going to be warm the next few day's. Ice fishing isn't that great of an idea. So i will probally end up just going to a lake that is not frozen over. Ive never been fishing in the winter. What do I need to know about winter fishing, different presentation, different depth, do fish hit slower, i have always been taught winter fishing is never good. WHat are some local lakes i can go to. HAS ANYONE BEEN TO TAMPIER OR MAPLE LAKE LATLEY. OR EVEN SAGANSKEE. PLEASE help, i can't take another winter without fishing. PLEASE RESPONDS BACk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Almost all lakes are ice covered but alot are not safe enough for ice fishing so I think open water is out. You can fish the Desplaines river (check posts) also the warm water discharge at Busse (check the tournasment forum for directions this would be the best if you want to wet a line. As far as fishing the fish are slower in cold water so you have to slow down your retreive to match them they wont chase to far,and then again sometimes fast retreive has worked for me. You'll get fish at the discharge some little some big,make sure you have a good pair of poloraized sun glasses you'll be site fishing at the discharge,. Hope this helps keep cabin fever away.

553 Posts
fishinnut28 said:
I know this sounds lame but last year i found my self testing lures in the bath tub.
Why would you even want to admit that? :?: :lol: Only thing I will say about fishing in the winter is to use live bait or some other very slow presentation. The fish aren't that active during this time of the year, they try to save up their energy, so they won't necessarily go chasing after something that's not worth it. Good luck. :) :wink:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
FishinNut,
This past Sunday, Deep Quarry Lake (West Branch Forest Preserve), was still completely open water... Loaded with every species of fish, including trout... This might be your answer... Located on Army Trail Rd. one mile east of 59... Bait store in a strip mall 1/4 mile east of the lake...

BPM

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
First off, testing lures in the bathtub is nothing to be ashamed of. In fact it is a sign that you are a real fisherman.
As for the ice, if you havent gone before i would suggest waiting till there is 12" everywhere. Just to be safe. ecspecially of you are not 100% familiar with springs and streams that are around. Just and idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.