Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Jaybomber354 said:
thats what i was thinking about getting i heard that the color of the line comes off on a hands and clogs your reel i wanted to know if this happened to anyone else
I have used it in several different colors and have never experienced that happening. I heard that it did happen with the red Power Pro when it first came out but that has been corrected now.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
fishinnut28 said:
does power pro did into itself like other braid lines
The way to avoid this with any line is to maintain a tightly packed spool.

This means paying extra attention to the line and how it is laying on the spool as you reel...especially while utilizing lures that offer minimal resistance..like a senko.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use power pro and fire line. I have never had trouble with either. I use fire line from 4 to 10 lb test and power pro from 10 to 20 lb. You will get a little color loss with any braid. One thing to remember is to back your spool with mono, this will help with your braid slipping. I go just under half the spool with mono.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
All good points. Yes, all braids will dig into themselves if you don't keep it wound tight like Darth said. Fireline is not a true braid and is not round so it doesn't dig in as much as braids. Yes, they do loose their color over time.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Good information everyone. I was just getting to the point of doing some research on braid for next year. While I am very pleased with flourocarbon, I wanted to experiment with braid and toss some on a spare spool. Guess I'll go with Power Pro.

·
Super Moderator
6,237 Posts
I'm in the definite minority, but I am a Fireline guy. When spooling the charcoal color, I always get a black substance on my fingers from the line. I also notice the color changing from black to grey over time. Once its grey, I'll strip off about 50 or so feet of line to get back down to the fresh stuff. Once that is exhausted to the point where I can't achieve maximum casting distance I respool.

A tip for getting the most of your braids is to reverse spool them when possible. If I have enough braid left over on an old spool to respool another reel (with appropriate backing) I will just reverse spool it onto the new reel. I can't do it all the time because I like I mentioned above I often strip off line during the season, but I usually get away with this when transferring from one of my larger spools to a smaller one. It saves a good amount of coin every year and the line that you will now be using will look like it is fresh out of the box.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.