Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION. HOW OFTEN DO YOU NEED TO CHANGE YOUR BRAIDED LINE AND HOW CAN YOU TELL IF YOU NEED TO?

MY BAIT CASTING REELS ARE CONSTANTLY NESTING ,ALSO THEY WERE FINE WITHOUT ANY NESTS FOR A FEW OUTING AND THEN BAM BOTH KEPT DOING IT. THE REELS WERE ON THE SAME ROD COULD THE ROD BE A PROB ?

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE IN ADVANCE.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
Is this a braided line question or a baitcasting question?

I have to think you're doing something wrong if you're constantly getting bird's nests. Make some adjustments to your baitcaster and practice chucking a rubber 1/2 oz weight or something...

Can't go wrong with a Zebco

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A FEW DAYS AGO I FISHED ALL DAY AND WAS FINE NOT EVEN A NEST. AND NOW OUT OF NO WHERE EACH CAST IS A NEST. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW OFTEN THE LINE NEEDS TO BE CHANGED. I HAVE NOT CHANGED THE BRAIDED LINE IN A GOOD WHILE AND FEEL LIKE THAT MIGHT BE THE FAULT.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
Braided line should last you at least three years, but it depends on your use. If you're getting a lot of backlash, the kinks start creating weak points. You may want to check your line.

Sounds like you need to adjust your spool control knob and the anti-backlash gadgets if your reel has one. I highly doubt it's the rod.

· Registered
2,635 Posts
Check your guides for any chips or nicks. That can actually fray your line a bit. But after many Backlashes it will create weak points.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
it sounds like you reel is just not properly tuned/ adjusted.

it was working fine...then next outing backlashes?

Did you change baits? different size baits means you might have to adjust the breaks and reel nob...to find a comfortable setting.

wind is also a factor...and baits that catch a lot of wind.

JayPee

· Registered
2,642 Posts
You still didnt say what size line you are talking about. If you are using something like 20lb (6lb-ish diameter) you may just be going too light for your gear. You have to look at a lines diameter and use that as the guiding factor. I would never go less than 10lb mono on a baitcaster, so when I went to braid I started with 60lb because 12 or 14lb mono is even easier to avoid the nests with. Then I moved down to 40lb and am staying there. Just making sure the diameter is not the problem for you.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Another vote for the cast control.

I've got a reel with power pro on it 8+ years now....ZERO issues.

Which brings to light another myth about braided line in general...that it's "too expensive".

I wonder how much I would have spent on 8 years worth of mono? :lol:

· Registered
1,594 Posts
Darth, you are so right on the cost-benefit issue of braid. I have at least 10 saltwater reels ranging from 15lb test to 100lb test outfits. All but one reel have braided line on them. They offer more line capacity due to lower diameter, but also saves ton of money. Re-spooling my reels with mono would have costed me a fortune. It's an application that has clearly changed the saltwater sportfishing industry out west.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.