Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered an extra spool for my reel and wanted to put some braided line on it. Any recommendations as to brand and type? I will mainly be using it for throwing frogs into slop, and lily pads. Also, what are some brands I should definitely stay away from. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Power Pro is good stuff and a lot of guys swear by it. I use 65 lb for that kind of fishing on baitcasting gear. For spinning, make sure to get the mono diameter of whatever is optimal for your reel. 65 lb braid has the the mono diameter of 16 lb mono. I think 30 lb Power Pro has the diameter of 8 lb mono. Good fishing.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Two words Tony: Power Pro. I am assuming that this is for a spinning reel if you ordered a second spool? I usually use braid on a baitcaster for this, minimum of 30lb test which is 8 lb mono diameter. I have heard that Spiderwire is a good choice as well. Both of these are true braids and are round so they lay on the spool better.

I know that FishinMatt and some others like Fireline, but it is not a true braid and in my opinion is not as strong. I saw Fireline break on my nephew yesterday when a bass went into the weeds. With Power Pro that wouldn't have happened.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Jim, braided line is just that: it is braided just like a rope or even hair. It is round. Power Pro and Spiderwire are braids. Fireline on the other hand is a superline, but it is more flat. It is not braided, thus it doesn't wrap onto the spool as well as the braids. Fireline is a huge step up from mono, but in my opinion, it doesn't compare to true braid.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I've used Power Pro for the last six years - both freshwater and saltwater applications. It's held up great under pressure and lasts a long time. I recently tried Fireline and it broke on me several times, but I think it was more user error than anything. IMHO, I think Power Pro is better.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've tried many and there's only 3 that I like. Power Pro, Tufline XP and Sufix braid. You can't go wrong with either 3.TuflineXP and Power Pro are almost identical. Sufix is braided a little differently and I highly recommend it. I prefer it over the Power Pro but only it higher lbs. I had issues with Sufix 20lb breaking on me and I never had an issue with Power Pro or TufXP doing that. But when I use 50lb braid, it's Sufix and I love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.