Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried breeding minnows? I'm curious because I want to start; this way I don't have to worry about going to the bait shop before I fish. Plus I'm too cheap to keep buying fish to catch fish. Any info. to get me started will help.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
lol frank! just buy a few dozen and throw them in a large tank and cross your fingers. don't get too attached to them like i did with my two minnows in my tank. they have been part of the family for over a year now. I named them Jason and Norris. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hahaha augy. I havn't had a pet for years now and over thanksgiving break i bought an air pump to keep my left over minnows alive and decided to spend all night observing my minnows and playing around with them. The next day while i was about the hook my first minnow i felt soo bad and didn't have the heart to do it for like a minute. I hope i don't get too attached expecially when i first see the little baby minnows. Why did God make me so sensative?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hey Gither I always wanted to try to breed/raise minnows. My buddy who lives on Lake Geneva has a few different types of minnow traps that he likes to use over the summer. If your REALLY looking to save money you could trap your first batch instead of buying them. However, it might be kind of hard to find schools swinging around at this time of year. Who knows give it a try.

-islander

p.s. If you are successful are you going to sell your minnows to WCF members at a discount? j/k

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha i will indeed sell it for a penny less than whatever lee's sells it for. A penny saved is a penny earned. and if you think i'm being cheap, remember this, i'm breeding minnows because of that exact reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts