Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A DNR officer in So IL told my buddy that the battery terminals had to be covered while in a battery box. I thought the battery case top was covering the terminals. What is your understanding of this? A DNR officer in MI told me that covering the terminals with duct tape was good enough for him. Just curious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
(625 ILCS 45/4‑10) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 314‑10)
Sec. 4‑10. Battery Covers. Every motorboat equipped with storage batteries shall be provided with suitable supports and secured against shifting with the motion of the boat. Such storage batteries shall be equipped with non‑conductive shielding means to prevent accidental shorting of battery terminals.
(Source: P.A. 82‑783.)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The instructors at the boating safety course my son and I attended last yearl stated what opc posted. I remember the DNR cop that was there pointing out "secured and covered" in a standard battery box was adequate. Maybe it's one of those "interpretive" laws.

Holy crap, why would anyone think it's ok to use duct tape??? :shock: It's metallic, therefore conductive, or at least the good stuff is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.