Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Have you experienced any significant bug bites at Axehead recently. Three weeks ago, I was there on a Sunday and got bit all over my back. The bites welt up and they itch like crazy. I thought at first I was having an allergic reaction b/c of the swelling was so pronounced. But, bite marks are pretty evident. I was wearing a shirt and had bug spray on all exposed areas of skin. By the way, my girlfriend got the same bites. She had more on her arms.

On Tuesday, I landed at O'Hare about 7:30PM, so I decided to hit Axehead for a few casts. My bites on the back are almost gone. I noticed a few bugs in the air and swatted my neck a couple of times not really thinking too much about it. I woke up the next morning and I have this huge bite on my neck and another one just about my collarbone (where the t-shirt ring would end). Had to explain to my girlfriend that I stopped by Axehead and it wasn't what she thought it was. I was wearing a long sleeve shirt and slacks (office attire).

What can this be and have had experiences like this recently. I was at Skokie Lagoons not too long ago and didn't have any issues there.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response!

Based on the description, it could well be chiggers. Yikes, it sounds a bit freaky, but I guess I'll be spraying deet like it's going out of style.

This is not going to stop me from fishing.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i would suggest chiggers as well, ive had them a few times when i go down to kentucky and they are as described. not really big bites, but TONS of them, little teeny ones. they itch like crazy... it sucks cus the bugs are too small to even see, but they pack a mean punch in that bite... don't worry though, no harm can come from them except a couple days of nasty itchiness and you'll be back to normal...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Have gotten toooo many chigger bites down south but never one up here.
Hiking even with deet I have found dozens of bites on my legs.

A white gel called "Chigard" is the best thing for treatment.
Its a very thick calamine like lotion.

Its possible chiggers are showing up mainly because our winters have not been that bad.
Over the last 10 years there have been an increase in the tick population..

If the chigger "mite" has become a resident-watch out...

They will become an incredible nuisance.

Think of your tick prevention, and the chigger will be 10x the effort.

You will get them regardless if you fish in the woods...
:cry:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep that sounds that what I have. Definitly from axehead. One chest/ shoulder 3 weeks ago. The other chest/shoulder a week ago. My welts expand in size over time and develop a kind of rash effect. .5" to 2". And they itch. Original welts are subsiding.

glen

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, that sounds like what I got. It was all over my back on one occassion and then on my neck after another visit. The welts are pretty significant and itch is pretty intense. What a pain.

It's interesting to hear that so many people went to the ER for treatment. I realize many people react differently to this kind of thing, but the Trib article made it sound like an epidemic had hit.

I cover myself in so much deet now, it's nausiating.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I wear shorts whenever I go fishing, and by my sock lines, I'm all torn up. It looks like I have cankles. :p

But seriously, they itch like a dozen mosquito bites all in the same spot. I put a little bit of hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball and swap the area. It stings, but makes them go away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.