Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know any places where there are lots of bullhead around here? I've heard that buffalo grove reservoir has some. I know that they are pretty crappy fish, but I'd really like to catch some, since I've never caught any before. Also, is fall a good time to fish for them, or is it too late?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
HS, I have a place in Schaumburg/Elk Grove that when I was a kid, I use to chase the Catfish and end up catching 50 bullhead to 1 catfish. It is somewhat of a hike back in the woods as you park by some houses. But I can possibly meet you and your pops or buddy there. Then I will show you guys where to fish. As the spots are limited due to heavy bullrush and koon tails. It is where I use to train a little while I use to practice Moto'X when I use to race. You will have to climb some insane ramps/jumps or walk around them in 5 foot tall grass. But The bullheads there are insanely hungry. I actually Sunk my lifted jeep wrangler there for 2 days in the swamp before I got it out! :oops: LOL. But I would have no problem showing you the area and putting you onto some heavy bullhead action. I know they are mut fish. But different species of fish always teaches and gives you appreciation for them ;)

PM me of your interested to set things up. BTW... How has Twin Lakes Been treatin ya? Any Luck Lately???

Dave

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Chicago River. Go where the north shore canal and river intersect near foster. When I was younger, I would go there and put 1/3 piece of a full nightcrawler on a heavy jig head(1/2 - 3/4 oz) and chuck it into the wash. I would easily catch 50+ bullhead a day. Occasionally I would hook into a carp. The only problem is there are a lot of snags, so be prepared to lose 3-6 jigs per outting.

Summer was prime time for bullhead action

·
Registered
506 Posts
busse is loaded with them. worms are killer

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sold--Busse it is!! That's one big lake--Is there any one place on Busse that is better than another, realizing that I'm after only bullheads? Also, since my bait tank is only ten gallons, smaller ones are what I'm after.

Also--transportation advice---I only have one aerator. How many pounds could I keep in an insulated cooler without an aerator, for how long? Anyone have experience with water additives used for transport?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Lake Arlington's got some. I always throw one line deep with shrimp or chicken for cats while working the artificials with another rod and usually land a bullhead or two. Bullheads there are decent size. I caught this last fall.

·
Registered
506 Posts
a few years ago caught a decent bull head out of busse, it had 2 hooks in mouth besides mine. removed all hooks

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
flyin'bryan said:
How many of you guys would eat those ?? Is busse clean ?? I've never fished there. thanx for the replies.
I personally would not eat bullhead. Though I have heard that they taste good if prepared and cooked right.

For Busse. I would never eat a thing from there. Pollution has its tolls...

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Bullhead are actually good if cooked right. My buddies mom used to deep fry them and leave the tail on. We would eat them like a chicken leg :D Looking back on it, it seems very ******* to me but I still remember them tasting darn good. I would not eat anything out of Busse, but I would venture to say, if you ate something out of there in moderation, you just may live. Although they don't get huge, 2-3lb bullhead are not uncommon. I have caught a few bullhead while pike fishing up North jigging suckers that were footballs.

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
This might possibly be the first thread with someone wanting to intentionally catch bullhead. But hey, to each his own.

Bullhead are pretty much everywhere. Worms or corn usually do the trick. There's a little pond in the Keller nature center in Highland Park that I used to fish all the time as a kid for bullhead. A can of corn, a small hook, and a bobber were all the tackle I needed. Ah, those were the days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.